boiler distance from gas meter,, help

Sponsored Links
If the effective length is 37m and the boiler and hob are both in the kitchen then in all probability they are within 2-3 m of each other.

In that case you might as well do the calculations on the total load at the end of a 37m length of tube.

Tony

thanks guys youve been a great help,i think il go with the 28mm size,

as im having a new kitchen fitted would it make a differance if i got an electric hob and kept the 22mm line for the 28kw boiler??

The reality is that although we, as gas registered engineers, have to abide by the appropriate regulations, the boiler is only very occasionally operating on full power and a slight reduction in the supply pressure will have no discernable effect on the operation of the boiler.

Equally the reduction in the pressure will have a negligible effect on a gas hob which in any case is rarely used with all burners on full power anyway.

So fit a gas hob and enjoy the benefits of virtually immediate changes in selected power and a greater maximum heat output obtainable with gas!

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
If the effective length is 37m and the boiler and hob are both in the kitchen then in all probability they are within 2-3 m of each other.

In that case you might as well do the calculations on the total load at the end of a 37m length of tube.

Tony

Agreed, but the run to the hob may be straight, and the last 2-3m have 10bends ;) which makes it a Calculated :LOL: 7-8m.

Agreed, but the run to the hob may be straight, and the last 2-3m have 10bends ;) which makes it a Calculated :LOL: 7-8m.

And the hob run may be in 15mm :LOL:

We seem to be overcomplicating this, just move the meter into the kitchen :evil:

I have just noticed that my last post followed YOURS where you suggested that you leave the gas supply at 22 mm.

Thats totally unacceptable! It must be upgraded to 28 mm at the very least!

The spur to the hob can be just 15 mm if its only 2-4 m long.

Tony

To whom are you referring Tony, one of the OP's RGI's said that.

Obviously it needs to be 28mm, at least up to the split.

But we would need more information, plus actual lengths of each section.

Just as in court of law, you have to address the Judge/Recorder/Master or sometimes the jury, on a forum you should be addressing the OP.

My reply was correctly addressed to the OP ! He seems to have missed all that we have been telling him and wants to leave the gas supply at just 22 mm! It needs to be at 28 mm from meter to boiler!

One of the jobs of a moderator is to ensure the posters observe the correct forum etiquette!

All too often an OP posts his problem and there then ensues a mad discussion going on for many pages where the OP is completely forgotten in the ensueing melee!

Tony

The poster said he would get 28mm installed.

And NO it does not have to be 28mm up to the boiler.

Provided the Adjusted length is less than 20m including allowances for bends, then 22m from the split is large enough, for a 28kw boiler.

To make that clearer :rolleyes:

From meter to hob could be say 20m in 28mm and the final 17m to the boiler could be 22mm.

From meter to hob could be say 20m in 28mm and the final 17m to the boiler could be 22mm.

I dont know what you imagine he is living in!

My vision is that the hob and boiler are close together and probably only 2-3 m apart!

Probably a flat on an upper floor!

Tony

Ok, lets assume we have a corrected length of 37m, which includes 10 bends.

Lets also assume the boiler is sitting on the hob, with just enough space to get a kettle under the boiler.

Ok we don't know were the bends are so will have to assume some more, and forget them.

Total load is say 3.2m³/h

We can now size the pipe at 22m of 28mm from the meter, and the final 15m in 22mm.

To get it more accurate one would need the distance and number of bends from the meter to the split, and the distance and number of bends from the split to the boiler.

It maybe the boiler is sitting on the meter, in which case 22mm may well be large enough. :rolleyes:

Would it be an idea to recommend to the OP to have the pipe in 28 at least to the split between boiler and hob, and move the discussion about how to calculate things to the CC?
People could get so confused by all this that they decide to have an electric cooker and a woodpallet boiler; very bad for business chaps. :eek:

Would it be an idea to recommend to the OP to have the pipe in 28 at least to the split between boiler and hob, and move the discussion about how to calculate things to the CC?
People could get so confused by all this that they decide to have an electric cooker and a woodpallet boiler; very bad for business chaps. :eek:

I think Ben means 28mm from the split to the meter, which maybe correct, but we don't know the distance to the boiler from the split.

What this thread shows is the importance of accurate measurements when sizing the pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back