boiler doesnt work!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler has stopped working!

I switched it off at the mains and then turned it on again. It now makes lots of fairly noisy clicking sounds when you turn it on but does not fire up. I have managed a couple of times to get the red light to appear on the boiler but whatever I try nothing happens.

On one occasion I managed to get it going again. After about 20 mins or so the flame went out and I'm back to square one!

FYI, I have a Potterton Suprima 30.

Thanks in advance for anyones help!

Sponsored Links
Suprima. Oh dear. New PCB £230, but it can just be bad connections or dodgy solder joints. Most engineers will just change the board though. If it's less than, er, I think 4 years old, Potty will do a repair for less than the cost of a new board, depending where you are. Give em a call.

Just a thought, if all you did was turn it off at the fused spur (I presume ) then have you tested the spur, could just be a bad switch, hence all the clicking(switching) ,not uncommon

Many thanks for your help people.

Chris, you were right. I've put the new board in and all is fine. Not cheap though eh!!

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Chris,

Yeah, still got it. You can have it if you like.

Give me your address and its yours.

Nick

Just out of curiosity is £230 a trade price ?

We had a similar problem, pcb was the culprit ,poor soldering behind the terminal posts. Potterton introduced improved version, obtained from Curzoncare £135.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

230 is the retail price - obviously there's a lower Trade price. There are various outfits doing "reworked" boards etc but few pros will touch them. Various tales of woe abound... There are many safety circuits on a board like one of these , which nobody except P has the specs for. I have in my possession boards where the safety circuits have been overridden, presumably to make the board/ boiler "more reliable"! I have done my statutory duty as a corgi to report them to the HSE, who do nothing about it! I did BSc and worked as a design engr for several years some time ago. Many current boiler boards use old designs which I and others can fiddle with. Later ones are much more complicated, using specially made chips, and much smaller components. Apart from changing relays etc there's not much anyone will be able to do withthem

Potterton (and others) are quick to point out that it's actually illegal to use non original bits, though they are on version 23 or something of the Suprima board which implies theirs ain't all perfect, perhaps.

I'd mend the board and use it for diagnostics, but wouldn't leave it in use.

ChrisR said:
Nick can you email me ? Not sure if/how we can go private via the forum.

ChrisR,I shouldn't think there'll be any problem as we can leave our e-mail address on our diynot.com 'Viewing Profile Information'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back