Boiler dying - Suprima 50 internal pump?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Noticed there was no hot water so checked the boiler and its really struggling like a pump is failing?

I replaced the PCB 18 months ago and no problems or noise since.

Any ideas? Obviously pretty urgent given the weather :eek:

The failing noise is coming from the boiler itself, its a closed system with an expansion vessel.

Sponsored Links
I've turned the pump up from 1 to 3 and at least its running but its bl00dy noisy making a screeming noise? - edit: just to be clear I don't know what the part is in the boiler that's making the noise but it sounds like a pump. The central heating pump near the 3 way valve is what I turned up to 3 and its running like a champ :)

Sponsored Links
There is no pump in the boiler case! as said if noise is coming from the boiler then FAN is the likely culprit :rolleyes:

ok I may have got that wrong if a couple of resets were what actually got it going. So if its the fan can I give it a knock to get it going and can I replace tomorrow morning DIY?

Atm its basically not running and so I guess the boiler is auto shutting off :(

Cheers

The boiler is overdue a service by 6 months, is it possible that's caused the problem or would the fan have died?

Can I open the cover and bang it with a hammer?!!!

Cheers

This may seem a bit obvious (and it does sound like a faulty fan), but you have checked the system pressure havent you?

Mr. W.

guessing is right. if the boiler itself is screaming , the likely hood is the fan.

but

this involves entering the combustion chamber and replacing the fan can have an effect on the safe operation of the boiler. coupled with your mention of an overdue service, why not get a fixed price repair from the big company and have the safety checks carried out at the same time?

fair point gavinda, accepted. I will get the service in. But for now I have the fan out and I think it just needs some lubrication on the spindle/axle. How can I do this? The part I found for replacement on ebay looks like its HE only as it doesn't have the back plate so I may not be able to get a replacement part today, although will probably pop down to plumbers merchant just in case they have one, get some coal on the way :)

The plumbers merchant had one in stock, so I've fitted that and all good. Have a CO1 alarm on the boiler so will leave it it there and book a service - cheers fellas - toasty :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back