Potterton Suprima 50 - normal operation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have one of the ill-fated Potterton Suprima 50 boilers, and am wondering if my boiler is behaving as it should. With the heating on, the boiler is triggered every 3-4 minutes, and runs for approximately 60 - 90 seconds. My problem is that the flame ignition and fan are very noisy when it fires up, and this repetitive sound is driving me mad! When the boiler is lit and running, the noise is OK. It's just the stopping and starting constantly which is the problem, and I suspect it bothers other properties within earshot of the boiler flue in neighbouring properties.

I had the PCB replaced in 2004, and don't suffer from 'lock outs', so I suspect the problem could be with the general heating pump (not inside the boiler). I also need to balance my heating system. But before investigating these tasks I was wondering how often the boiler should switch on and off during normal operation?

I'd really appreciate any advice at all as the noise is really beginning to bug me!

Also, does anyone know if the Suprima could be replaced using the boiler scrappage scheme? I found an efficiency rating for 78% on the SEDBUK site, but I'm not sure how accurate this is.

Thanks,

Fred.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Powell - so would you say that the boiler should be stopping and starting less frequently? I'm wondering what 'normal' operation would be for a Suprima 50....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back