Boiler electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting one tonight.

Boiler worked fine this morning; heating and water.

This evening - 4pm, water came on. At 4.05pm, the Boiler spur tripped in the RCD. I flicked it back up, all okay and boiler came back on. Ten minutes later it tripped again, and even flicking the RCD switch back up has not brought back the power to the boiler.

So we've no heat. We have hot water, due to the immersion on a different spur

Anyone have an idea what the problem is? The Honeywell Drayton timer is off, the wireless Honeywell reciever for the thermostat is off. The boiler is completely off, as is the UfH thermostat in the kitchen.

I've checked the 3A fuse in the boiler on/off switch. It's not that. The motorized valves don't appear to have power to them, as fiddling with the spring valve shows they respons with a spring.

The heating engineer will come out; first thing monday. It's not that cold, and we have water, but I'm just stumped. Checked everything I can think off, and nothing - to completely wipe out that spur is odd.

Would it be in the RCD, and the trip switch isn't set up correctly? Something else?

ta

Sponsored Links
Most times I have found this to be a faulty pump or fan but it could be many things and really needs to be diagnosed by someone that knows what they're doing. You haven't noticed any water below the boiler suggesting an internal leak somewhere have you? Make sure you leave it switched off at the spur and remove the fuse so know one can inadvertently switch it back on. In a worst case scenario if there is a leak and possible short circuit the boiler case could even become live to the touch. Get it checked out asap.

Many thanks. I was going to leave it to the heating engineer. Just intrigued and frustrated I can't work it out!

Could it be the UFH? Turned the manifold from 3 to 6 yesterday for the first time. Guess the extra demand may have pushed the pump over the edge!

The fault will be caused by earth leakage somewhere.

Usually caused by a water leak in pump, boiler or motor valve somewhere but rarely caused by a gas valve or fan.

You seem to be saying that after your repeated resetting of the RCD, you have lost mains power.

For anyone with some electrical experience restoring the power should be very easy.

Finding the earth leak can be more difficult and a clamp on current meter helps a lot otherwise its a matter of successive disconnection.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Yeah - pretty much. The RCD has been reset, and we have no power to that spur (only that spur though, all the rest is fine).

As the boiler was serviced on Thursday - would he have done something - even inadvertently - that could have caused the leak. Something we can start on when he turns up this morning?

ta

The PCB fuse had blown. Bit annoying hiding a fuse right in the middle of the boiler

However, heating engineer changed it to a spare, and it blew again a minute later (similar to the experience on Saturday - runs for a minute and then blows).

So Worcester Bosch are coming out tomorrow. Hopefully they'll be able to sort it quickly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back