Boiler exhaust ducting quesiton

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, My builder is slightly concerned about the boiler exhaust and the cooker hood vent being located within a foot or two of each other. He worried about boiler fumes coming back down the cooker hood. I have looked at some new build houses and see the boiler and cooker hood vents just as close. In the new builds the cooker hood vent has flaps on it.

Does anybody have any info or know of any building regulations that relate to this point?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
What boiler?

Distances from flues to opening (extractors or other wise) are specified by the boiler manufacturer

300mm it needs to be away if its a fan flued boiler its a grey area but extractor is classed as an opening into the building

Sponsored Links
Your wrong an air vent or actual opening into building is 300mm .

150MM is to an opening into the building structure that does not let air in or out.

IE A window that is not openable as in fixed pain

If you have a fixed pane of glass it is not an opening into a building.

What boiler?

Distances from flues to opening (extractors or other wise) are specified by the boiler manufacturer

24 kW Vaillant Ecotec or Worster equivalent... I like Vaillant but the builder's gas subcontractor seems to like Worster. I guess that is because he likes to fit one brand all the time.

300 mm seems to be the consensus?

Your wrong an air vent or actual opening into building is 300mm .

150MM is to an opening into the building structure that does not let air in or out.

IE A window that is not openable as in fixed pain

The potterton profile MIs clearly show 150mm adjacent to window or door
opening. There may be others.

I bet you haven't fitted a Profile recently.

The OP needs to look at the manufacturer's instructions for the boiler he is actually going to have, not guess or take a consensus.

Can your builder not just add a couple of elbows and extension piece to the flue to raise the outlet up thus moving it further away from the cooker hood outlet?

without knowing what the boiler is, and what the the manufacturer's instructions require, there's no point suggesting solutions.

+1 on MIs needed for specific boiler. Many newer boiler MIs state minimum distances to adjacent openings (including opening windows) of 300mm, and 150mm from an opening accommodating a window frame. But not all. Any hole in the outside fabric of the building is an opening.
And as JohnD says, it's not a vote. MIs state distances to openings for the particular boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back