Boiler fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been told by a plumber that the fan in my Halstead boiler is on it's way out due to the noise it's making. My question is does the fan have an effect on boiler performance? My boiler just seems to take forever to heat up these days and I just wondered if it could be connected.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Well the fan does have an effect on the boiler performance.

However, its unlikely to be having much effect as the fan is monitored and if its not working well it will stop the boiler from operating at all.

This "plumber" did he comment on the system taking ages to heat up?

In fact what was he doing there anyway?

Tony

He was quoting me for a new boiler so I guess he was a heating engineer rather than a plumber.

He said it was a really cr*p boiler and it was massively underated for the house / radiators.

Can't afford a new boiler right now so was wondering if the fan made a difference I could get that fixed for the time being.

Your 24 kW boiler will provide heating for a six bedroom detached house.

Is the house really that big?

He sounds more like a cowboy!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Where do you get 24kW from? My boiler is a Halstead Best 30 which apparently is more like 11kW. He said an 18kW would give me plenty in reserve for the extra radiators I was going to have fitted.

So back to the fan question.......

I thought the fan in these boilers simply blew the exhaust gasses (produced after the gas has burnt off) out of the flu. If the air pressure switch does not detect that the fan is creating enough pressure to vent these gasses then the boiler will not ignite. It's a safety 'thing'.

What this has to do with the actual performance of the boiler to heat up water? I'd guess at very little if none at all!

Could be wrong of course.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back