Boiler fault F57

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi experts: Our 12-year old Vaillant EcoTec Plus 824 failed today (the weather being very cold and windy, if this is relevant). It was serviced last September, by Vaillant.

When I turned on the hot tap, the water ran cold for ages and the rads were nearly cold. I went out to look at the boiler display panel, and there was no fault number showing — normal activity seemed to be showing, although the triangle on the left (not the water-pressure indicator) seemed to be static, being half-filled with black, and not changing at all.

I did not touch anything, but went back inside, turned on the hot tap again, and it started to run hot again.
About an hour later, I ran the hot tap, and it ran cold for ages.

At that, I rang a heating engineer (a private operator, not Vaillant), and he told me to look again at the display panel, which did. This time, it showed Fault number F57. So, I shut the boiler off, waited a minute, then restarted. It started up, began loading, and the hot water and rads were OK again. I rang the engineer with this information, and, after asking the make of the boiler, he said that if it happened again, to ring him and he would fix it. He said that from what I told him, it seemed as if the circuit board was faulty.

Later, being worried about a possible, very expensive C.B. replacement, I looked up Fault F57 on the Web (a Vaillant information sheet). It said that the fault number indicated that the ignition electrode was badly corroded.

Now, my question is this: if Vaillant themselves say what the fault is likely to be, why would an engineer say that it seemed that the C.B. could be faulty? I should think that he would point out what Vaillant points out as another possible cause for the fault. I am concerned as to whether, if the boiler fails again, the fault could be dishonesty diagnosed in order for the engineer to charge a much greater fee than what would be charged for a new ignition electrode.

In this cold period, I want to have the confidence to get an honest diagnosis and a speedy fix to the boiler, and these conflicting diagnoses have shaken my confidence.

With thanks in advance for any informed comment on this matter.
L.L.

Sponsored Links
you cant legally change this yourself, your service is overdue so get vaillant to service it again, they will have any parts it needs on the van , instead of throwing parts at it
Fair point tbh.

What's the difference between ripping into the heat exchanger on a combi vs switching out a electrode?

Just curious.

Sponsored Links
where did you get the information that F57 meant ignition electrode ?

What's the difference between ripping into the heat exchanger on a combi vs switching out a electrode?
It was a plate heat exchanger and does not involve removing the combustion cover, changing the electrode does, and once refitted the integrity of the combustion cover and the combustion itself must be checked

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
where did you get the information that F57 meant ignition electrode ?
I think mate, Vaillant was mentioned, a sheet? So likely the following:

Attachments

• 52E3B080-3308-4CB1-91BC-FD0F095BE60E.jpeg
    52E3B080-3308-4CB1-91BC-FD0F095BE60E.jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 122
you cant legally change this yourself, your service is overdue so get vaillant to service it again, they will have any parts it needs on the van , instead of throwing parts at it

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/boiler-fault-f57.582641/#ixzz7ESu7HIr9

No, Ian, the service is not overdue. The "last September" that occurred was in 2021 — it was serviced three months ago — har, har! And I certainly would not try to switch an ignition electrode.Thanks for the link, I shall look at that thread, thanks.
L.L.

I would wager that it wasn’t actually serviced then. Did you see them take the burner out? How long were they there for?

If I remember rightly, the man was here for about twenty of thirty minutes. Since it was an official Vaillant service, I would be surprised if he didn't do all that was necessary. However, I'm just a layman and am forced to trust people. He filled in the form in the booklet and signed it, to show that it had been serviced. Usually, I sit on a stool and watch, and show willing to do things if required (the boiler is in an under-stairs "shed" that used to be a coal storage, and the door is in the outside wall). On this particular occasion, the man said that he didn't like being watched, and would I please leave him to it. So I was obliged to go inside until he had finished. I didn't see what he did.

It's surprising (to me, anyway), that no one in this thread (some of whom seem to be quite knowledgeable) has mentioned the likelihood of the circuit board being on the blink. That was the main point of my first posting.
L.L.

Last edited:
It's surprising (to me, anyway), that no one in this thread (some of whom seem to be quite knowledgeable) has mentioned the likelihood of the circuit board being on the blink. That was the main point of my first posting.
Why are you and so many others so desperate to change the PCB everytime the boiler has a fault ? It is very highly unlikely that it needs a PCB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back