Boiler fault F57

Why are you and so many others so desperate to change the PCB everytime the boiler has a fault ? It is very highly unlikely that it needs a PCB

Ian, I'm not desperate to change the pcb. It would be very costly, for one thing. It's just that the engineer that I phoned re the fault said it sounded as if it was failing. The reason for my initial posting was to try to find out whether what he told me was likely to be true. You are the first one to say otherwise, so thanks.
L.L.

Sponsored Links
Ian, I'm not desperate to change the pcb. It would be very costly, for one thing. It's just that the engineer that I phoned re the fault said it sounded as if it was failing. The reason for my initial posting was to try to find out whether what he told me was likely to be true. You are the first one to say otherwise, so thanks.
L.L.
There is no way he could have dignosed the PCB on that boiler over the phone, a few models you can, as already said get Vaillant out to service it and they will change the electrode if it is that

Why are you and so many others so desperate to change the PCB everytime the boiler has a fault ? It is very highly unlikely that it needs a PCB

* looks at my Potterton suprema now on its '2 replacement board which was itself a updated release from potterton due tot he original board design lasting no more than a wet week and which there is a cottage industry on ebay selling refurbs of which this poster went through three before discovering the updated version.....*

* looks at my Potterton suprema now on its '2 replacement board which was itself a updated release from potterton due tot he original board design lasting no more than a wet week and which there is a cottage industry on ebay selling refurbs of which this poster went through three before discovering the updated version.....*
But on your boiler it nearly always is the PCB they are total scrap, but not a common problem on the OPs boiler

Sponsored Links
There is no way he could have dignosed the PCB on that boiler over the phone, a few models you can, as already said get Vaillant out to service it and they will change the electrode if it is that

Vaillant will only offer a six-months' kind of insurance arrangement, in that they will put right what needs putting right (whatever it is), and charge a flat-rate £300.00 for anything more that goes wrong, over the six-month period. It may be a good idea if the boiler is not working at all, but for now, I shall wait to see if it fails again. If it does, I should agree to the 300.00 deal (even though nothing else may fail in the following six months). That way, I should at least be sure that they address the problem as it really is.
L.L.

I wouldn’t be paying anything until I had evidence that a service was carried out, if that’s what you paid for and expected.

I wouldn’t be paying anything until I had evidence that a service was carried out, if that’s what you paid for and expected.

Hey, Chris, it's not possible to book a Vaillant service unless you are willing to pay for it over the phone, first.
C.C.

Hey, Chris, it's not possible to book a Vaillant service unless you are willing to pay for it over the phone, first.
C.C.
I get that Luke, but you’re quoting paying £300 - cheaper getting a local engineer. What I meant was, I wouldn’t be paying this, if you’ve already forked out for a service, which I believe you’ve not had.

I get that Luke, but you’re quoting paying £300 - cheaper getting a local engineer. What I meant was, I wouldn’t be paying this, if you’ve already forked out for a service, which I believe you’ve not had.

Oh, I see what you mean. Well, with regard to local engineers and putting things right, a year or two ago (perhaps 3 — time goes so fast), there was a recurring fault on this boiler. It kept on failing, intermittently with periods of being OK. It's a long story, which I will spare you. I had two separate local firms to look at it (one of them came twice, and was a firm of some stature, not a one-man business), and they could not cure it. Another local engineer that I phoned about it said that I needed a new boiler, and tried to get me to order one for him to fit. In the end, I called Vaillant and paid the 300.00. The man fixed it immediately and was astonished that the others had not even mentioned a possibly failing gas valve (this was the fault, and the new valve cured it). The boiler has been fine since (except for the recent failure of ignition, which has not occurred again, yet) and at least, there was a six-months insurance for if something else had gone wrong. So, it requires a fine sense of balance with regard to the circumstances. One time, it might well be OK for a local one-man business, and the next time, it may be wiser to pay for a 300.00 six-month blanket cover, with a certainty that any fault would be put right.
Regards, L.L.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Just book a service from Vaillant, the engineer will look through last 10 boiler faults and see the F57 and will sort it, dont book it as a repair

It's surprising (to me, anyway), that no one in this thread (some of whom seem to be quite knowledgeable) has mentioned the likelihood of the circuit board being on the blink. That was the main point of my first posting.

CBW know more about this brand then many. If it was the pcb, he would haAve Said. Also, a full service could be done in 20 minutes but the chap would need to be very good. In fact lot of checks take time to carry out, so that period of time looks suspect

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
CBW know more about this brand then many. If it was the pcb, he would haAve Said. Also, a full service could be done in 20 minutes but the chap would need to be very good. In fact lot of checks take time to carry out, so that period of time looks suspect
Thanks Dan, but it’s more the Ecotec’s I’ve experience of and the ecomax :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back