boiler fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys , I've a glowworm fuelsaver f35 , it was full of water and I switched of electric and valves and found this . (pics).
can this be saved?, there was loads of rusty water or do yous think the heater exchange will be burst. ..it was during to cold snap , and boiler hasn't been on.

Attachments

• 20230206_125816.jpg
    20230206_125816.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 20230206_125813.jpg
    20230206_125813.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 20230206_125809.jpg
    20230206_125809.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 20230206_125803.jpg
    20230206_125803.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
One of the pipes has pulled from the olive, probably by frost damage, doesnt mean the heat exchanger is damaged though, you will need to remake the joint and fill the system to see if the heat exchanger is damaged

One of the pipes has pulled from the olive, probably by frost damage, doesnt mean the heat exchanger is damaged though, you will need to remake the joint and fill the system to see if the heat exchanger is damaged
frost damages (what does that even mean) causes a pipe connection (been connected for a long time) to come loose!
Can you explain how this "frost damage" can do this please

the boiler is situated outside in a room,only a wooden door and lagging separate it from elements.
it was -11 and the pipe.going to red expansion tank was frozen and the water tank in loft was frozen to ice.

don't know what made these pop, but system had brown rusty water and it was full (4 buckets).

Sponsored Links
so is this just as simple as securing pipes back In , check circuit board is dry, filling up and see if any leaks then try.fire up?

Water freezes and therefore expands which pushes pipes out of fittings, which are generally the weakest point. Simples...
so what happens with contraction? where does the pipe then go?

No where, it needs to be reinserted mechanically.
so the water inside froze, and instead of expanding in all directions it chose to expand in a vertical plain until the pipe was clear and then having pushed it out it also pushed it to the side so vertical and then horizontal because of ice. Why would it not have just split the pipe as well?
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/volumetric-temperature-expansion-d_315.html can you do the calculation using this formula? I'm struggling to get the result

so the water inside froze, and instead of expanding in all directions it chose to expand in a vertical plain until the pipe was clear and then having pushed it out it also pushed it to the side so vertical and then horizontal because of ice. Why would it not have just split the pipe as well?
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/volumetric-temperature-expansion-d_315.html can you do the calculation using this formula? I'm struggling to get the result
Water expands approx 10% on freezing, which is why icebergs are 90% submerged. The additional volume has to go somewhere. If a long section pipe froze it would probably split it. If you're lucky and it's near a joint it might push it out, so it can be refitted with no harm done. I'm sure it's still somewhat fluid as it freezes, so doesn't have to expand in all 3 directions at once. If it's in a pipe near a not too strong joint it will expand along the pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back