boiler flame colour question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have had a few problems with my boiler a glowworm economy plus c. It's 11 years old. We had a carbon monoxide scare and the boiler was serviced and the fluw cleaned and made safe. Less than a month later our carbon monoxide alarm went off again and the gas man that came today checked it and could find nothing wrong and said it was safe. However I have just checked the little window on the front of the boiler and when the pilot light is on it burns blue but when the boiler is actually on i.e. heating up the water and buringing the flame looks orange or at least the bit of the flame that I can see is this normal as I thought it should always be blue He didnt mention a problem with the flame - perhaps its just the way that particular boiler is?? Ive tried to find answer to my question on the internet but cant seem to find one. What should I do as am a little worrried about it. We have 2 carbon monoxide alarms surely one would go off if there was still a proble Can anyone help - woould be much appreiciated - I don''t want to look silly by phoning them to come out again if this is normal

Sponsored Links
You will never look stupid responding to a carbon monoxide alarm!
Get it checked NOW!
If you have a reasonble quality carbon monoxide alarm alarming it needs dealing with straight away.
Remember it may not just be your boiler, it could be coming from neighbours property or other sources.
PLEASE GET IT CHECKED STRAIGHT AWAY

Hi the alarm hasnt gone off since the man checked the boiler this morning. I have just looked at it again and it looks as if when the main burner is operating the flame is blue but there is an orange glow from behind it i think this could be the surface element glowing orange but am not sure anyway on closer inspection the flame is blue I didnt realise that there could be an orange glow behind which was making it look like the flame was orange. Anyway think it is ok thanks

Sponsored Links
Does your boiler have an open flue, or is it roomsealed?
The flame should always be blue, if it is any other colour, it is either dirty or the settings are not quite right.

economy c is open flue with a permanent pilot. Its possible what the op is looking at through the viewing window is the pilot not the entire burner.

Thanks for everyones help. The pilot light is blue and when the main burner is on the flame is blue but the background is orange it is quite hard to see as window is so small so think it prob is the combusiton chamber getting hot. we have 2 carbon monoxide alarms and the digital one highest reading since the gas man came is 21 and has been 0 most of the time so think I am just overreacting probably! Is it normal for older boilers (this one is 11 years old) to have an orange glow with blue flame when you look through the window? All my family and friends boilers are newer so dont have a window I can't compare it to anyone elses. Many thanks

its very difficult to say if its ok or not without seeing it i'm afraid. Poor combustion won't on its own cause CO to leak from the boiler, but what it can do is start sooting the heat exchanger, in time, if it becomes blocked you will again be at risk from spillage of CO and other products of combustion. Is there anyway you can take a photo of the flame picture?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back