Boiler Flu extension.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Question on boiler Flu. I have a ideal 35kw with the flu going straight through the outside.
The problem is the flu is above the front door steps, when the boiler runs it drips water Into the steps and freezes causing a slip hazard. Can a flu be extended at a right angle to the wall by 1mtr which will then be over a gutter? It is all outside not inside. On the photo it needs to go to the right.
Thank you.

Attachments

• 20210123_134231.jpg
    20210123_134231.jpg
    537.2 KB · Views: 121
Sponsored Links
No it can't, and your flue hasn't been correctly fitted as it is. There should be no white on show as it's not UV protected and will degrade. It shouldn't drip anyway, sounds like it's been fitted without enough fall back to the boiler.

Thanks muggles. I have been trying to get the "professional gas safe installer" to come back and sort it out but he won't. And others I have contacted don't want to touch other peoples work so I'm stuck at the moment. No point having trade bodies when those signed up to them don't comply, might as well do it myself.

You are entitled to a free inspection by Gas Safe if you're not happy with the work. They can force the installer to put things right

Sponsored Links
Thanks again muggles. I have been onto gas safe but due to wuflu etc etc etc. Strange times we live in. But I will try them again.

as already said, you cant touch that yourself, gas safe is your best option

ianmcd. Best option, been there, sorry Ian but when the "Professionals" let you down the only option is to DIY.

ianmcd. Best option, been there, sorry Ian but when the "Professionals" let you down the only option is to DIY.
It's not the only option. You could just be patient and buy yourself a bag of grit salt to put on your path in the meantime, while you wait for a professional to become available. Better than getting things wrong messing with the flue and killing yourself / other members of your household.

DIY is not an option, Gas Safe Register has the power to get the installer back to do the job properly, but all they will do is cut the flue to the correct length so no white is showing if indeed it is a make that doesnt allow white to show, what make is your boiler ?

Ideal 35kw. 4 months old.
However just cutting off the white pipe would still drip water onto the steps. Only two things I could think was moving the boiler or extending the flu.
The first is not an option so I went for the second.
Remember Professionals built the titanic. Amateurs built the Ark.

Last edited:
your flue is designed to run back to the boiler it has not been installed correctly and your boiler manu does not allow white showing

Did the installer not possess a tape measure?
It clearly states in the Manu's installation book how much the flue should protrude from the wall.
As said above, GS will make him do it properly at his own expense.
I'll wager £1 that its not sealed with mortar either.

I don't know what he did. He had all the certificates, I needed a boiler and he fitted it. Price was average I suppose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back