Boiler flue against fence

I read this document CE29, interesting. The distance of 2.5m is not mentioned anywhere in the Building regs. English Building regulations apply to the whole of England (unless there are local exceptions, I believe). So this distance of 2.5m is a recommendation to avoid nuisance.

That is probably why they have not made it a regulation: if you are not causing a nuisance to your neighbour (p 42 of same document), why make the installer struggle to keep the terminal 2.5m away from the neighbour's property, even in mid air?

Sponsored Links
Since other posters have lost interest in this thread, I am putting more information as a result of my converstations with others.
I checked with the manufacturer's technical support and they agree to the recessed flue as on my drawing on the first posting. They just said to leave a gap of 50mm between the recess in the wall and the vents to allow the air to circulate in them.
As for the possibility of the fence coming down in the future and the plume going straight into the neighbour's garden, well it would be silly of me to ever agree with the neighbour for him to remove the fence and then accept his complaint about the plume and have to remove the flue.
Interesting research on plume dispersion
http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/planningandbuilding/pdf/143945.pdf

The distance of 2.5m is not yet part of the building regulations.

It is currently the advisory distance used by Building Control and also by the EHOs in assessing complaints and of course by CORGI.

It is expected to become part of the Building Regulations in the future.

If you are discharging at less than 2.5 m towards the boundary you could have a stop notice served on you if the neighbour complained.

I still dont understand why you dont just go and use a plume diversion kit.

Tony

Do you know of any plume diversion kits that can be used with the Grant oil flue products?

Sponsored Links
So this distance of 2.5m is a recommendation to avoid nuisance.

That is probably why they have not made it a regulation

AFAIK There is no legal precedent yet, but when one is set those who observe the 2.5m recommendation are unlikely to have a case of tort go against them.

Why don't you discuss it with your neighbour ?
If you explain everything about the condensate and flue gases that you wish to discharge over his property he might have no objections.
I would consider 2.5m as reasonable as its above the height of most peoples heads. Having said that if you don't talk to the man you won't know if he plans to put something there that is higher that could be affected by the acidic condensate
A lien on his deeds is a more concrete solution but that will cost money.

Talking about that, does anyone know if trees can be damaged by the acidic plume? in which case you would have to go taller than any of the neighbour's trees that may be in the vicinity :LOL:

Talking to others, someone told me that he is in a (legal) dispute with a neighbour because the latter just does not like the look of the plume flowing over his garden, not because he proved that the plume is causing any real nuisance.

These are the things that make me think that going for a high plume diverter can be of no use if the neighbour decides to be difficult anyhow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back