Boiler flue against fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing a flue, straight out of the boiler, through an external wall and the distance from flue to fence is just short of the Regulations 600mm, as on picture A below. Are the inspectors going to be so tough that, if they spot it, they will get me for 35mm short of the spec?

Alternatively, I could pull the flue back a bit by carving the brick wall around it to make room for the air to flow into the vents as on picture B.

Otherwise I need to install a high level flue to go over the fence which will cost money (credit crunch), will complicate my internal installation and I may get trouble from the neighbour.
View media item 6717

Sponsored Links
You have not mentioned at crucial information! The make and model of boiler!

Most modern boilers like at least 900 mm in front of the flue.

There is also the problem of nuisence to the neighbour. You are not expected to discharge less than 2.5 m from the adjoining property !

The obvious answer is to use a plume diversion kit.

It sounds as if you are not CORGI registered and one wonders why you are fitting a boiler if that is the case!

Tony

No I am not a Corgi registered installer as this is not a gas boiler (even I know that). It is oil as Gremlin16 worked it out. The boiler manual (Grant Vortex System) only specifies the distances as on BS and Building regs. So they do not need any extended distances. But you would not know that not being Oftec registered.

Errr the question remains

Sponsored Links
Now Now Agile only asked what other heating engineers would have. "The make and model of boiler!"

As for assuming it was an oil boiler that was easy as we are Oftec registered and the diagrams are all very similar ;)

As you rightly said Agile is not Oftec registered but he used the distance for gas flues, and he was blo0dy spot on.

from Oftec book 3

Wall terminals should be sited a minimum of 2.5m from any facing wall, fence, building or property boundary.

If you were OFTEC approved and were familiar with the Grant product, you would be aware that you can use a Grant external flue kit together with a deflector to sent the plume sideways.

Cutting a slot in the wall is simply not on; the flue outlet would never have been tested by Grant in this crazy scenario and you still would not achieve the necessary clearances to the boundary.

If you were OFTEC approved and were familiar with the Grant product, you would be aware that you can use a Grant external flue kit together with a deflector to sent the plume sideways.

Just like I said in the beginning:-

The obvious answer is to use a plume diversion kit.

Tony

Its irrelevant if the boiler is oil or gas as far as nuisence to the neighbour is concerned. They both need a distance of 2.5 m to the boundary.

With oil the problem is more serious because the POC from an oil boiler is more objectionable than from a gas boiler. Thats when the oil boiler is properly adjusted. Miss a service and if its just a little out of adjustment and it quickly becomes quite objectionable.

Tony

from Oftec book 3

Wall terminals should be sited a minimum of 2.5m from any facing wall, fence, building or property boundary.

In that case it looks like the Oftec regulation contradicts BS and Building regs because the distance of 600m is specific to oil burning appliances. 2.5m sound like it would be difficult to meet in most cases. Are you sure this does not refer to other types of burners (some kind of old fashioned vaporizing burner or something)?

There are two different aspects!

600 mm is a typical distance, which enables the flue to work safely, from another surface such as ther wall of YOUR garage. Some boiler manufacturers require more! That should be seen as the minimum distance!

Then there is the distance of 2.5m to the boundary which should ensure that your neighbours will not be caused a genuine nuisence.

Tony

Then there is the distance of 2.5m to the boundary which should ensure that your neighbours will not be caused a genuine nuisence.

Tony

About the nuisance to the neighbours, that is why I am trying to avoid putting the flue over the fence where it is more likely that the discharge will be directed to the neighbour's property!

The theoretical problem is the fence could be removed/could be changed/made smaller etc and then your stuck with having to sort it out at a later date when your neighbour complains.

Plume kits/deflectors etc cost next to sod all.cheaper to fit one now than find out youe flue is obsolete when the fence comes down and the neighbour moans.

A point to remember is people move home just cos the neighbours ok,it might not be the same neighbour next week, and some love to moan.

The conclusion of this is that I am buying the high level flue so that it exhausts over the fence. Otherwise I could get one of the guys above when I hire a plumber to commission the system

from what i can gather a high level kit will only project the plume over the fence into next doors garden.

If this is the case then you will still not have achieved what everyone has been saying.

The 2.5m rule came about for condensing boilers and some old literature and that included with boiler manuals is out of date or has a disclaimer stating check with local building regulations.

You will still need a plume management kit to make sure the direction of plume is still 2.5m away.

Plume kits/deflectors etc cost next to s** all.cheaper to fit one now than find out youe flue is obsolete when the fence comes down and the neighbour moans.

Not for oil boilers they don't!

Using a plume kit you could angle the end elbow at 45 degrees so it still has the relevent distance from your wall but the plume will travel down your side alley more and not directly over the neighbours boundary.

HTH Sam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back