Boiler flue location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My heating system has been installed for 8 years, and i have lived in the bungalow for 4 years. Last week my next door neighbour complained that when he opens his bathroom window the fumes from my boiler flue enter his bathroom. (I don't know why its taken him 8 years to complain about this!)

My boiler is in my garage and the flue exits the wall about 2 metres above ground level. It faces my neighbours property but is about 2 metres away from his window.

He asked if it would be possible to modify the flue outlet with a 90degree bend. So I agreed to look into this. However my boiler service company have quoted over £250 to remove the end of the flue, add a 90degree bend and replace the flue terminal. I thought this was quite a high cost for the job.

My questions are:-
Is the flue in a dangerous position, being 2metres from his window.?
Is £250 a reasonable cost for this work?

Sponsored Links
Is the flue in a dangerous position, being 2metres from his window.?
He can actually force you to have problem corrected if your flue gasses actually are entering his property. 2metres from property could mean it's too close to boundery.

Is £250 a reasonable cost for this work?
Who can guess cost of parts when you don't say what boiler make & model is.

if it's a balanced flue from a sealed system you are well within your rights and gas safe regs to leave it there.
as long as it is not less than1200mm away from any opening

the work should only take about an hour at most
yes 250 is expensive
but remember only gas safe regd engineers can carry out such work by law

You don't say whether its oil or gas fired, so difficult to advise, £250 if the Flue system has to be replaced would be about right (it is illegal to modify the existing flue in any way - makers plume management kits excepted) ;)

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I should have said that the boiler is a Vaillant combi turbomax fitted with Vaillant horizontal flue.

If it is illegal to modify a flue, how can they add 90degree bends to the end of the existing flue?

I understand that there is also a vertical flue option. The garage has a flat wooden roof. Is it permissable to pass a vertical flue through a wooden roof?

It would be illegal to modify a flue , if it does not conform with the manu's installation instructions , supplied with the boiler , which are legally binding document's , all manu's installation manual's will state or quote minimumn distances from opening's in building's , how ever they alway's state there ' get out of jail ' quote make sure product's of combustion cannot re enter the building , or any other adjacent building's , or words to that effect , & any installer who get's a problem with flue's / neighbouring property's ect , or if an incident (?) occured ? think that the boiler M.I's will help them , had better think again . ( Prison Food)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back