Boiler Flue Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, once more! My boiler (oil fired) flue exits the house on quite an exposed wall. When the wind blows quite strongly their is a strong smell of fumes coming back into the kitchen - whilst the wall surrounding the flue is a little leaky, I think the wind is basically blowing right down the flue and pushing the fumes back into the house, as i can find no apparent leak on the boiler itself...

Now, I assume you can by a different 'exhaust' to fit to combat this problem...maybe something with baffles that is less affected by the wind!? Thoughts...??

Netto :cool:

Sponsored Links
I'd do two things

1)Get hold of an oftec engineer to assess the situation..hopfully with the boiler manual/installation guide to hand.
2) Ask him to speak to the boiler manufacturers about fluing options to see if they have a 'fix'.

Don't mess with the flue in any other way than is acceptable to the boiler manufacturer.

Whether there is a cure for the problem may be another matter entirely.

Alfredo

What type of oil boiler and what type of flue,conventional flue rising of the top of the boiler,a balanced flue usually square and will have two sets of grilles or slots when intake and one exaust or a low level discharge often mixed up with the balanced flue but will have only one set of grilles or louvers for the exaust the air inlet is supplied from the room to the intake of the burner . The low level is the best candidate to give problems if poorly sited or fitted.

Cheers guys, thanks for the advice..the flue exits top of boiler then right angle quite quickly to exit thru kitchen wall - flue is box shaped, but have noticed that exhaust within boxing is usual cylindrical shape...cowl on external flue is box shaped and has a horizontal v, I assume to combat the very problem of weather penetrating the flue!

As I said, the problem only occurs when v windy, blowing in direction of wall that flue is located on...Boiler is a Camray Compact...

Sponsored Links
Oh dear then youv'e got to speak to Worcester Bosch and they haven't a clue what is going on with the Boulter boilers no chance, or am i being a bit cynical.
If all goes well they will um and ah a bit and put you onto spare parts and hope they can sort it out for you. :confused:

Cheers

ididdidi said:
Oh dear then youv'e got to speak to Worcester Bosch and they haven't a clue what is going on with the Boulter boilers no chance, or am i being a bit cynical.
If all goes well they will um and ah a bit and put you onto spare parts and hope they can sort it out for you. :confused:

Cheers

Does this 'Oh dear' mean the company are a bit pump, or the boiler is!? ;)

Worcester have only recently inherited Boulter boilers when bort out by Bosch so are still picking up the bits.
You still have not said the make and model ?

COG said:
Worcester have only recently inherited Boulter boilers when bort out by Bosch so are still picking up the bits.
You still have not said the make and model ?

I'm sure I already said Camray Compact...! :rolleyes: ;) Made by Boulter Boilers Ltd of Ipswich :cool:

No wind tonight, and boilers is doing its job nicely...! :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back