Boiler frost protection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a new combi boiler installed in a very well lagged loft. The boiler has 2 stage frost protection and the pipe work is lagged right up to the boiler.My question is, When the tempreture in the loft goe's down to freezing or near freezing will the boiler be on all the time or do I need any extra frost protection? I should of ask my central heating engineer when the boiler was fitted and now he has gone to Australia for 6 months.
Any advice would be most welcome.

Sponsored Links
The boiler may have in built frost protection, but you also need a frost stat wired in series with a pipe stat.

When it gets cold the pipe stat will stop the boiler from firing when the return pipe is warm ( installed on the return )

i assume by 2 stage frost protection you mean a frost sta and a pipe stat yes?

frost stat will fire the boiler until the pipe stat is satisfied.

unless the frost protection is built into the boiler.

Built-in frost protection should do just that - protect against frost. It won't keep the heating on full blast. What make and model of boiler is it?

Sponsored Links
Hi Thanks for usful replys. The boiler is a Potterton Promax 28 HE combi and the frost protection is internal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back