Boiler-Heating Problem.... Pls Help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, sit tight here's the story!

I've been carrying out works to our bathroom including replacing the original radiator with a new towel radiator over the weekend. On replacing the radiator I took all the norm steps drain the system down, turned off the gas feed, switched the boiler off etc. I did the necessary work to install the new radiator.

When it came to filling the system back up, I closed all the valves on the rads, turned the water back on and fired the boiler back up turned all temp controls up, no problems. There was quite allot of air in the system and each rad took a while to bleed. Why I was doing this one of the new pipes I'd installed for the shower had sprung a slight leak, so I turned the water main off again, and also turned the boiler back off, and sorted the leaking pipe out. When it came to firing the boiler back up about 45 mins later the boiler was having none of it. I couldn't get the pilot light on the boiler to stay alight. I have followed the instructions on the boiler by the book and it still won't light???

Things I've tried so far:

1. Re bleed all the rads to get any more air out
2. Left gas on cooker running for about 10 mins, in case of any blocks

The boiler is pretty old to be honest but its a "Glow-worm Radiation Fuelsaver 12"

When turning the system on I can hear the pump running all though it does sound pretty loud. I have also bleed the pump so I know their water there. Could there be air in the system still not reaching the boiler??

When turning the control knob on the boiler to pilot pushing and holding it in, then pushing the ignite button you can see the flame is alight, you then keep the control knob pushed in for about 20 seconds, but on releasing the knob the flame just goes out.

Does anyone have any ideas, I’m going to replace the boiler prob later this year but have only been in the house 6 months and can't yet afford too.

Any help would be much appreciated.... Cheers

Matt

Sponsored Links
You must get a CORGI to fix the problem with the pilot not igniting...and yes, there is prob. a major airlock from when you refilled :cry: or maybe a blocked cold feed.

Thanks, I've been been read previous threads on here for the past hour now.

Would it be worth replacing the thermocouple??

Can anyone reccommend any good Engineers in the West Mids Stourbridge region??

Regards

Matt

Sponsored Links
M4tyj said:
When it came to filling the system back up, I closed all the valves on the rads, turned the water back on and fired the boiler back up turned all temp controls up, no problems.

I would have advised you filled the system, including all the rads, before you fired the boiler. Having turned all controls to max and fired the boiler, there would be no circulation for the pump and obviously no load for the boiler heat to be disapated. I am not familiar with the intrnal controls of the Glow Worm Fuelsaver but there may be a high temp protection device fitted, which will take out the pilot. Some of these have to be manually reset others are sacrificial and have to be replaced. As per Nige F regestered boiler engineer will sort it out for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back