Boiler in Loft (I know its been asked a million times...)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening everyone,

First time poster here to leach on your knowledge. :) I have used search but couldnt find an answer to my specific post.

Im currently looking at buying a new house which has a conventional system boiler (possibly condensing but certainly not combi) in the bathroom airing cupboard.

Ideally id like to move the hot water cylinder and boiler up into the loft which would allow us to remove the airing cupboard and have a shower cubicle in the bathroom.

Is there anything preventing me from doing this? (Other than ensuring the loft is boarded, perm loft ladder and lighting)

Im an electrician by trade so whilst my general DIY ability is good obviously you cant no everything. However im sure ive read in the past that the header tank needs to be so many meters higher than the boiler for the system to operate correctly?

The boiler is a 6-12 month old Worcester Bosch so dont want to rip it out to replace with a combi if i can help it.

Any suggestions or help greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot,

Russ

Sponsored Links
The boiler instructions will give the minimum head for the system. Alternatively you could convert to a sealed system but you'll still need to get the cold water storage cistern higher than the hot water cylinder.

If it's a cold loft, you will need to consider the risk of freezing and subsequent water damage.

The cheapest option for you is probably a combi boiler in the kitchen/loft and remove all the other tanks.

Sponsored Links
I think there are rules, ie there must be lighting guard rails round loft hatch.
Saying that I have a my boiler in the loft & hot water tank, get a good head of water for a shower & fills bath quick, great...BUT when the boiler trips its a pain in the r's going in the loft to reset & when I am not at home & her at home has to get in the loft, you would think the world had just ended.
So bear that in mind.

If your Worcester-Bosch is indeed a system boiler (such as 12i, 24i, 30CDi) then it incorporates a pump and an expansion vessel, and you can move it into the loft easily.

The hot water cylinder move may be more problemmatic. If it is an unvented cylinder (usually white/grey, stainless steel etc) (doesnt use a header cold water tank) then this can be moved .....but you may get a reduced performance due to a drop in dynamic water pressure from the altitude.

If it is a conventional old school open vented water cylinder (usually copper/lagged) then you can move it but the main water storage tank will need to be raised above it. This can be a challenge, as you will see when you get the tape measure out.

Bear in mind that water weighs a kg per litre, so the ceiling joists have to up to the job of the extra load you will be applying, it's not uncommon to see the cylinder perched in the middle of an unsupported span where the loft headroom is best. Recipe for disaster...

You're best option is to convert it to a pressurised sealed system.

Thanks for the all the replies guys.

Im not sure of specific models for the boiler but its physical appearance is identical to this -

http://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/worcester-greenstar-12-ri-regular-boiler-natural-gas/

I think the boiler is a regular boiler not a system boiler. I got my terminology mixed up last night as id spent the evening researching boilers lol

The heating system is not an unvented system (we have one at my parents with a huge Santon 210litre tank, zilmet expansion vessel and an accumulator tank).

The house im looking at has a traditional copper tank with a 27" immersion heater installed directly below the boiler. I couldn't actually tell you what is mounted in the loft whether there is a separate header tank or not. I just presumed that there was.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back