Boiler in Loft - not comi?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Does anyone know if you can put a normal condensing boiler in the loft. This is on an open vented system. Would, I just have to make sure that the f and e tank is higher than the boiler?

All the pump, zone valves, etc will remain in the airing cupboard bellow. Just want to move boiler from bathroom to the loft.

I know you can put unvented systems, combi boilers, and system boilers in the loft. But I am not buying a new boiler, just want to move the one I have to make room in the bathroom ready for renewing.

Any help appreciated - thanks

Sponsored Links
why don't you put it in the airing cupboard above the cylinder

there is no reason you cant, need to check flue clearances obviously. How old is the boiler? need to be sure that you can get replacement flue components otherwise the shouldnt be attempted because you will damage the old ones when you remove them. Should still be able to pressurise the system unless the appliance is ancient in which case you shouldnt be moving it. Put in an external expansion vessel and filling loop. If you try and do it off the f and e guarantee you'll have grief with it.

Sponsored Links
Buy a cheap new boiler and get it installed.
Moving an old one is silly. Chances of removing a flue
in a usable condition to be used again are poor.

Go to a sealed system at the same time a vented heating system has no
place in a modern central heating system.

I remove many boilers and rarely get a flue out of the wall in a condition
where I would be happy to use it again.

Isn't your gas registered installer able to advise you?

I have heard of a comi waiter and a comi chef but not a comi boiler !

More often spelt commis chef though.

thanks for your help. Think I will go with getting rid of the f and e and putting a pressure vessel in, and stick it up in the loft.

The boiler isnt too old, maybe 3 years. Will buy replacement flue parts.

Sorry for the typo, yes I meant combi not comi. :oops:

I had my boiler in the loft, seemed a good idea at the time.
When it keeps tripping & the lady of the house cant get in the loft & going in the loft at 6.30am on a cold winters morning it aint fun.
So I would NEVER do loft again.

My boiler is in the loft, can't see an issue as it one snot break down ;)

Also I have a permanent loft ladder, light and boarding (as per regs ;) ;) ;) ) so again not difficult to get up there if needed

loft boilers.
you cant see the pressure gauge (unless external is fitted)
you cant fill it up easily (unless external filling loop is fitted)
you cant see any error codes
you cant see any leaks as quick
you cant get to the clock (unless external is fitted)
you cant turn boiler stats up or down easily
they usually have an undersized gas pipe because its further from the meter.

i always charge more for boiler loft work.

crap idea IMO

• Thanks
Reactions: CBF
If your changing it to a pressurised system make sure the boiler has an overheat thermostat fitted. Should have if only 3 years old.
Where are you going to run the condensate pipe?
Are you going to have boarding all the way to the boiler? Is there permanent lighting up there, and the all important safety rail around the trap hatch?!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back