Boiler in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to place boilder in loft and plumber can do it. The verticle flue pipe will stick out of pitched roof.

What happens when in 10-15 years time we need to change boiler? Would we need to break roof and redo tiles for new flue pipe?

Sponsored Links
I have same. I would guess just get a boiler that will fit the same flue?

Usually a tile/slate is removed or cut and a designated boiler weather slate is used

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for response, so its ok, I should go ahead and fit boiler in Loft.

Yes. Worry about it in 10-15 years time or just get a few spare tiles in case your next boiler has a different flue. Very forward thinking though!

Enjoy the inconvenience of climbing into loft for topping up pressure and resetting.
When boiler is highest point of system there is no leeway.

Enjoy the inconvenience of climbing into loft

and provide safe working area for the installer and for anyone servicing repairing the boiler in the future.

Ensure the condensate pipe runs down inside the house. If installed externally from loft to ground level there is a risk of it freezing and the boiler shutting down in cold weather,

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
I’ve had my boiler in the loft for over 27 years. For the first 24 it was open vented so it was automatically topped up. The loft is boarded and well lit. New boiler fitted 2 years ago, condensate drain all inside the house. When it was converted to a sealed system the pressure gauge and filling loop was fitted in the downstairs airing cupboard. No trouble really and if you are constantly resetting it you have a problem - get it fixed! Only once did we have a problem many years ago and the British Gas engineer that came round was a fat bastard and couldn’t fit through the hatch so they had to send a normal size engineer round! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I’ve had my boiler in the loft for over 27 years. For the first 24 it was open vented so it was automatically topped up. The loft is boarded and well lit. New boiler fitted 2 years ago, condensate drain all inside the house. When it was converted to a sealed system the pressure gauge and top up tap was fitted in the downstairs airing cupboard. No trouble really and if you are constantly resetting it you have a problem. Get it fixed! Only once did we have a problem many years ago and the British Gas engineer that came round was a fat bastard and couldn’t fit through the hatch so they had to send a normal size engineer round! :ROFLMAO:

I can assure you that very few loft installs have a remote pressure gauge and loop fitted.
Even then you still have to access the loft to reset.
It's a harsh environment for a boiler with sub zero winter and 100 ° +summer.
Not to mention having to lug tools up there and rolling round in fibreglass repairing $ hite boilers installed at floor level in a trussed roof by fookin r etards !!

No Fookin thanks !!!

Last edited:
I can assure you that very few loft installs have a remote pressure gauge and loop fitted.
Even then you still have to access the loft to reset.
It's a harsh environment for a boiler with sub zero winter and 100 ° +summer.
Not to mention having to lug tools up there and rolling round in fibreglass repairing $ hite boilers installed at floor level in a trussed roof by fookin r etards !!

No Fookin thanks !!!
Well, I’m happy enough with mine.
E63C7F0C-53AB-4A57-830E-2BD19BD51515.jpeg

Much better than most I have seen.....But
Why the fook do they mount them 6" from the floor ??? They are a fookin wall mounted boiler not floor standing.
No wonder my knees are knackered.

Lol. I think when the first boiler was fitted up there in the same position, the header tank was above it so it couldn’t go much higher. When that boiler was fitted I asked if they could keep it in the same position so that I didn’t have to have another flue hole drilled in my flank wall. They said as long as there was enough space underneath to get to the condensate filter/trap/drain thingy they would do it. Apparently when they lined the flue up with the hole there was 4” to spare according to the installation instructions.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back