Installing Boiler in Loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking at installing my new worcester bosch combi boiler in my loft.

It is a 2 bed detatched bungalow with a 4 pitch roof, so obviously there are no vertical walls in the loft. I am going to need to build some kind of frame/support for it.

I want to mount it as far into the eaves as I can

What would be the best way of doing this? Could I make it out of wood or does it need to be metal? Would I go between the floor joists and roof rafters? Would it need a solid back plate? What size timber should i use? etc, etc,....?

I will also need a flue tile thingybob. Does this affect the exact mounting position of the boiler?

I am also installing UFH and was looking at mounting the maniflod and pump etc on a board behind the boiler in the loft, before feeding the pipe loops all down the same part of wall to the downsatirs and then boxing them all in.

Sponsored Links
Loft has to be floored with a fixed light and staircase and a hand rail otherwise you might have problems with a service visit not just from WB but some other boiler manufacturers.

I installed a WB 30 CDI in a basement this week and upon registering the warranty on the phone the girl at WB asked me if ,amongst other things,the basement was 'sterile'. :eek:

Regarding constructing something to support the boiler it will obviously have to be strong enough and the backplate has to be non-combustable (gyroc) and WB are picky about some of thier boilers going into lofts (440 and 550 CDis).

You really have to consult the boiler MIs to be honest. WB MIs say that behind the boiler has to be of non-combustable material and must be the same size or larger than the boiler itself.

Tony.

Thanks,

I am going to convert the loft into a proper room eventually so lights and access wont be a problem.

What is the purpose of the floor bit? Is that just for access for someone to service it or is that some kind of structual requirement for the boiler framework?

I am hoping to get the whole boiler (Greenstar 28i junior) behind where the vertical struts will be dropping off the purlings, so I can put a cupboard door in front of it.

I was thinking someone could point me towards a fairly detailed drawing/sketch/description of how frame could be built between joists and rafters. I could obviously just knock something up and well over engineer it but I just wondered if there was some kind of standard frame design for this sort of thing?

Sponsored Links
Floor is for the engineer and you need 600mm in front of the boiler for servicing also 30mm above the flue elbow (although presumably you will have a verticla flue terminal) and 200mm under the boiler.

There is a shaded area (drawing) with all of the clearance dimensions in the MIs.

MIs tell you everything you need to know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back