Worcester not providing warranty if boiler installed in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my plumber started work this week on fitting a new Worcester 440Cdi in the storage area of my loft (sloping roof). I have had a dormer loft conversion, during which all floor joists were strengthened and specifically in the storage area where the boiler would be (which I had to pay extra for!).

I am also having all my pipework upgraded (currently lead), full compliance with building regulations etc.

My plumber called Worcester today for some technical inquiries during which he was told that the warranty would not be honored as they do not recommend that boilers are installed in roof space. This was despite him informing them the the floor has been specifically strengthened, insulation in place, fire board for the boiler to rest on, pipework upgraded, access is via a fixed (proper!) staircase, fixed light etc. But they are adamant they cannot provide a warranty.

So option 2 (not desired due to space) is to have the boiler placed in my new dormer bathroom. Again they are not sure if they can provide warranty as this is "roof space" (specifically referred to in their documentation as not suitable for installation). So they have asked me to fax my architect drawings to them for their approval.

Has anyone had any issues with either Worcester or any other boiler manufacturer with regard to installing a boiler in the loft? I am honestly gobsmacked by all of this given I had 4 plumbers round (all from the Corgi website) and none of them mentioned anything about warranty being void.

The Worcester is currently in my loft (uninstalled). Realistically there is no other place I can put it. Kitchen not really suitable as in 3-4 years time I want a kitchen extension which would mean I would have to have to moved again during that. Bedroom installation is out of the question. No airing cupboard in hallway...

My loft storage area is a sloping roof and measures 1.2m at it's highest point. Height is the only issue - the loft storage area is 6m long x 3m wide. All wall mounted boilers are a little too big to be fitted as it does not meet the clearance guidelines.

Any advice? :(

Sponsored Links
ball cocks. Id say yet another reason not to buy one of these over-rated boilers. They are nothing special imho.

If you haven't yet fitted it, get something else. Atag, Broag, Viessmann... Ebay the WB :D

All good makers will honour the warranty, I even do in unboarded, unlit and with no ladder.

That does seem harsh by WB, it is not the norm in the trade.

Thanks for the quick replies. I will call Worcester myself tomorrow re-confirm that this is the case.

Are there any other combi boilers which can be installed in a loft with no warranty issue providing all regulations are met? Bearing in mind my max ceiling height is 1.2m and it is a sloping roof.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick replies. I will call Worcester myself tomorrow re-confirm that this is the case.

Are there any other combi boilers which can be installed in a loft with no warranty issue providing all regulations are met? Bearing in mind my max ceiling height is 1.2m and it is a sloping roof.

Vaillant. ;)

Which one? My plumber informs me there is not enough clearance space for the Ecotec 937. Although this is the one my neighbour has in her loft.

Which one? My plumber informs me there is not enough clearance space for the Ecotec 937. Although this is the one my neighbour has in her loft.

The 838 exclusive or the 837.

Im installing a lot of baxi duotec boilers at the mo..........cheaper boilers built better than most counterparts. The boiler is 90% brass too not like these Vailant and Worcseter plastic city counterparts that spring leaks at every given oppotunity. heat Team are a great warranty group too providing your installer is registered with them.

Im installing a lot of baxi duotec boilers at the mo..........cheaper boilers built better than most counterparts. The boiler is 90% brass too not like these Vailant and Worcseter plastic city counterparts that spring leaks at every given oppotunity. heat Team are a great warranty group too providing your installer is registered with them.

there's very little plastic on the Vaillants. Have you actually seen one? GW are full of plastic admittedly but not Vaillant! Brass, copper and stainless steel mostly. Baxi are ok but not as good build quality.

there's very little plastic on the Vaillants. Have you actually seen one? GW are full of plastic admittedly but not Vaillant! Brass, copper and stainless steel mostly. Baxi are ok but not as good build quality.

He says with hose pipe for arms!!! Yes ive seen the ecoteq.........and seen the plasitic naff they call pipe connections to the main heat ex. And the pointless PCB/display they use where you can control it down to how many times it passes wind in an hour. Yes ive replaced the hoses when they have split and flodded a kitchen on more than 5 occasions.

Bring back the ECO MAX i say., the best combi ever produced. Until then ill still with Baxi, lot cheaper, lot more reliable and more brass parts. Much easier to change a leaking washer than a split plastic water section!

He says with hose pipe for arms!!! Yes ive seen the ecoteq.........and seen the plasitic naff they call pipe connections to the main heat ex. And the pointless PCB/display they use where you can control it down to how many times it passes wind in an hour. Yes ive replaced the hoses when they have split and flodded a kitchen on more than 5 occasions.

Bring back the ECO MAX i say., the best combi ever produced. Until then ill still with Baxi, lot cheaper, lot more reliable and more brass parts. Much easier to change a leaking washer than a split plastic water section!

those rubber hoses are now replaced by telescopic copper pipes. adjustability is a good thing if you know how to use it!

I fail to find one reason that the baxi is better.

those rubber hoses are now replaced by telescopic copper pipes. adjustability is a good thing if you know how to use it!

I fail to find one reason that the baxi is better.

Price is one

Pre piping jig is two

Simplicity is three

Grundfos pump is four

Cheap spares is five......................

price is lower because it's an inferior product

prepiping jig? WOW.

simplicity or lack of features?

Grundfos pump maybe but the vaillant pump is two speed self selecting dependant on burner modulation. The baxi is fixed speed.

Spares prices are similar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back