Is there a reason not to install a boiler in a loft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got to have the boiler moved, and options are limited for its new location. Its a wall mounted Isar combi

It can go in the kitchen or bathroom, but this will cause problems for the layouts.

The only other option would be up in the loft. Now, I am aware of what will be required, but is this really a good place for it?

Is there any practical reason why a loft installation should be avoided, and is there any real safety issues, or should I not be concerned with a loft install?

Sponsored Links
Main problem if its an Isar will be the gas man getting pi55ed off keep clambering into the loft to repair it. :LOL:

don't move it-replace it for a decent boiler! Vaillant or glow worm for example. . . . .

being in lofts are absolutely fine providing its very well lit, there's plenty of room around the boiler and easy access to get to it, and there's good quality boarding. Like to know in advance for repairs/service on warm days so I can go there early doors before it turns into an oven.
How old is the boiler? The early Isar boilers were appalling and I'd recommend replacing it, seeing as the only additional cost should be the price of the boiler.

Sponsored Links
Main problem if its an Isar will be the gas man getting p****d off keep clambering into the loft to repair it. :LOL:

:LOL:

It's seven years old. I have only had one problem two years ago when the main board needed to be replaced. However the display does not seem to be working now, but the boiler is fine.

I would like to get a few more years out of it. Replacement is not really an option yet as I've a bit of other work going on and have not budgeted for a new boiler, so will have to make do

It just seems to be a psychological thing with gas, fire, heat, loft. It does not seem right

the isar is notorious for leaks by the way. do u have waterproof ceilings?

fair enough, sounds like you might have got away with a good one anyway! 1 PCB in 7 years is gotta be almost a record for the earlier models. If you look at the back of the display, you may find its had water leaking onto it, usually from the well positioned auto air vent :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back