installing a combi in loft - what are the issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Following on from a previous post, I intend to get a quote for the installation of a complete central heating system. I want the combi boiler in the loft which is a normal tiled pitched roof.

What issues should I be mindful of for when the installer gives me a quote. Are there any legal requirements (a poster alluded to increased legislation for a boiler in loft).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You must have a permanent loft ladder in place, there must me a permanent switched light in loft, loft must be boarded out between hatch and boiler and there must be a guard rail around the loft hatch.

Thanks for reply

Loft ladder - intend to do this anyway
light - intend to do this anyway & an electric socket
boarding - intend to do this anyway for storage
guard rail - bit extreme but could prob do something with some simple wooden posts or something.

So more about H&S then than specific boiler issues.

How are the flues put through the existing tiles - don't want leaks.

Sponsored Links
danlightbulb said:

You get it installed by someone who knows what they are doing. I employ a roofer mate to do that bit as I have a thing about heights. :eek:

danlightbulb said:

I'd check to see if the boiler you're thinking off has a specific kit for use with one of its vertical flue options through roof tiles. Mine did, and it was pretty straightforward to install - basically it provided a replacement for a single (concrete, reasonably large) tile and included a plastic moveable joint through which the vertical flue passed, with lead flashing all around to provide a "skirt" for fitting under the surrounding tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back