What would be a reasonable cost for installing this boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new Broag Avanta boiler and want it installing in the loft space with the flue going through the roof. (access to the roof is made easier by a flat kitchen roof below though would still need a roof ladder.

I have all the parts so cost is labour only. The loft has a fold out ladder and is boarded with good lighting.

The current system is a conventional boiler with header tanks and cylinder. The boiler is located in the kitchen.

The CH/HW pipes run vertically from the current boiler so getting them to the loft is no problem. From the loft the boiler will be about 1.5m vertically so all that needs new pipework.

The Gas pipe needs 22mm running from before the current boiler (it reduces before it gets to the current boiler) upto the loft.

I want to keep the current radiators and install a magna clean (I have already).

I have one quote for £900 and another for £650 but the second guy does not have any poweflushing gear. They both indicate it will take 2.5 to 3 days.
I rang up some more installers and one said his quote would be way over £600 and charges £400 for powerflushing alone (takes 1 day).

What would be a reasonable quote to do this job - I know it can't be exact since you can't see the job but £650 didn't seem too bad (though a bit expensive) but I'm concerned because the guy doesn't have any powerflushing gear. Another guy I spoke to (who didn't have any powerflushing gear) said it may be best not to powerflush the radiators since they are quite old (pre-roundtop radiators I think but visually in good condition).

Any ideas/help, anyone from here interested in the job - I'm in Coventry.

Sponsored Links
Any heating engineer that doesn't own power flushing gear goes to work on a horse and cart.
Customers who like to supply their own gear tend to be peanut busters!
There you go a match made in heaven :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Pay my tax,fuel,registration,basic running costs,tools,bills,food cost and drinking money for me and my family for a year and I will fit the boiler for free with a powerflush. :LOL:

£1,000,000 including any extras needed. There may be some change if the job goes well.

Thanks for the support :eek:

Am I missing something here? I bought the boiler after reading opinions/recommendations on here and the guys are charging £300-£400/day which from the comments is far too little?

Should I expect to be paying £800-1000/day?

I wish I earn't £300-400/day......

Any thoughts on if powerflushing is a good idea with the older radiators (personally I would prefer to do this)

In business the cost of doing a job is not the same as earnings. Overheads have to be accounted for.

I have just spent all day doing paperwork for about 8 jobs, I didn't get paid anything today.

£300-£400 quid a day is cheap.

Not sure which world you live in but after tax and other expenses a business would net less than half that :cry:

If its that easy do it yourself.
You are not paying just for the time the guy is there you are paying for his knowledge which you dont have.
And all the business expenses he has just to turn up at your door.

I would charge about £940 if you provided the ladders.

But it seems that is too much for you! Are you in cheapo Foleshill?

There are plenty of cowboys in Cov. who will do a cheap job for you.

There is also someone on this forum posting as Iron Naz whose objective is to rid Cov of cowboys. Perhaps he will quote you?

Tony

£650 didn't seem too bad (though a bit expensive

What to clamber on roof with a cat ladder. :eek: Look trawl the local rag under central heating, you may get a hard up installer who needs the work. Just check, check and double check their Gas Safe Number with the website, their are loads of rogue 'installers'. Unfortunately you will be mixing in their circles with that budget. That is the only constructive comments I can make.

So you are converting from header tanks to a combi and moving
the boiler up into the loft space.

£650 is a bargain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back