Putting a boiler in the loft - considerations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to get my old boiler/HW tank replaced with a combi boiler and the installer mentioned he could put the boiler in the loft.

I've been thinking about this a bit more and since it appears there is little/no benefit in terms of heat output of having a modern combi boiler in the kitchen (i.s. heat radiated from the boiler) then putting it in the loft would free up some useful space in the kitchen.

Is there anything else I need to consider? I guess hot water will take longer to reach the kitchen tap (much longer run) but probably quicker to reach the shower (shorter run)

I'm not totally sure where he intends to put the new flue and the current flue would need to be blanked off (goes through a flat felt roof)

Any problams with freezing? I guess controls are harder to get to (though the loft has a drop down ladder and is boarded out)

Sponsored Links
Your new boiler should have a frost stat so that won't be an issue. The biggest downside is access. For yourself make sure that all your controls are fitted downstairs rather than attached to the boiler, then you'll rarely need to get to the boiler itself. For the fitter, if he wants to do it then fine. Make sure it will fit through the access hatch ;)

There will be a small heat loss wasted in the loft, but new boilers are fairly well insulated and make sure your pipes are also insulated. The length of the run to frequently used taps is probably more important, especially if your water is metered. That can be several litres of hot water wasted every time you run a tap.

boiler install in loft requires the following to be done:-

perminant Loft ladder
boarded to boilers position
grab rail around loft opening
boiler guard to prevent suitcases etc from failing against it
adequate lighting

A BS standard for it not sure of number

good luck

Herb

I have my boiler & hot water tank in loft.
Its a long wait for water in the kitchen, but then dont use much as d/washer is used. Hot water for shower & bath is quick.
The only down side I have found is hearing the pump, but you can sort this out by changing the on/off times, although when heat comes on in the morning you can hear the pump, but then you also hear the pipes.
Pain in the A**** when the boiler trips & needs resetting.

Sponsored Links
Combi in the loft: keep it near the tap you use most, if the taps in the kitchen you'll have to wait a long while to run off the cold to get hot then the hot in the pipe will grow cold once you turn the tap off. Works out at around £30 a year in gas if you use the sink a lot. Not including metered water if that's what you ave.

Dish washers usually cold fill so not an issue. If your bathroom is on te first floor and you use it most you're OK if you are prepared to do the work in the loft.

Frost protection is great until you get a powercut then it becomes useless. If you live in a rural area where there are frequent power outages - don't do it. If never in living memory you'll be OK.

Keep things that are metal and filled with water in the warm is my mtto but it's your house.

i take all the above points but one VERY important one is ...get the installer to fit a pressure gauge and filling loop downstairs or somewhere accessible for you to monitor the syatem pressure and fill it up if necessary. can easily be done.

The reason i say this is i go to boilers in the loft with probs and 99% have the filling loop and pressure gauge is at the boiler. not such a prob if you are a fit 20 yr old but elderley people cannot go into the loft periodically to check and top up system pressure!

i take all the above points but one VERY important one is ...get the installer to fit a pressure gauge and filling loop downstairs or somewhere accessible for you to monitor the syatem pressure and fill it up if necessary. can easily be done.

The reason i say this is i go to boilers in the loft with probs and 99% have the filling loop and pressure gauge is at the boiler. not such a prob if you are a fit 20 yr old but elderley people cannot go into the loft periodically to check and top up system pressure!

Agree...from Experience

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back