Worcester not providing warranty if boiler installed in loft

Do you not agree on the Ecomax though...now that was a boiler!!!

That we agree on but I like the vcw too, the ecotec is an advancement on the ecomax though. Ecomax was designed with engineers in mind the ecotec was designed for customers. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Hi, I fitted a 550 CDi last month and the MI state's you can't fit it in the loft ,also there was a thread on here and I'm sure simond taked about this in that thread.

Also your 1200 clearance height isn't enough according to the MIs I seem to recall.

Great boiler though,IMO.

You should fit it where it's allowed or sell it because you really can't afford not to have WB support given the cost. The 550 CDi was over £1800 incl vat.

Cheers.

Tony

Worcester Bosch, in my view, have the best post purchase support out there. Most AIs get a 5yr warranty.

I can see why WB would restrict their use in a loft. It is a big, heavy unit that will not pass up narrow stairs or through any normal loft hatch. In other words, a typical loft extension.

If you were unlucky enough to have a warranty issue that required boiler replacement, alterations made to the building after the boiler was installed could make it nearly impossible to remove.

WB could give chapter and verse in their MIs about access etc but builders would just fit the new stairs regardless after the boiler had been manhandled into position and it would be then effectively trapped forever.

I suspect that if your boiler was located in the 'main house' on the plans rather than in 'the loft', and you could show that there were no access pinch points, Worcester may treat it differently.

Please also bear in mind this boiler has a non removable internal condense pump which may wake you up if sited close to, or above a sleeping area.

Worcester Bosch, in my view, have the best post purchase support out there. Most AIs get a 5yr warranty.

I can see why WB would restrict their use in a loft. It is a big, heavy unit that will not pass up narrow stairs or through any normal loft hatch. In other words, a typical loft extension.

If you were unlucky enough to have a warranty issue that required boiler replacement, alterations made to the building after the boiler was installed could make it nearly impossible to remove.

WB could give chapter and verse in their MIs about access etc but builders would just fit the new stairs regardless after the boiler had been manhandled into position and it would be then effectively trapped forever.

I suspect that if your boiler was located in the 'main house' on the plans rather than in 'the loft', and you could show that there were no access pinch points, Worcester may treat it differently.

Please also bear in mind this boiler has a non removable internal condense pump which may wake you up if sited close to, or above a sleeping area.

Thanks all. Given the amount of money I am spending on this, I really do not want to pay £4,500 to have a boiler installed in a location I do not want.

I contacted Worcester myself this morning and they knew me as soon as I told them my name due to the number of phone calls my plumber palced yesterday. I am going to fax my loft architect drawings to Worcester now and they said they would treat me as a "unique case", they would analyse my plans and inform me if they can provide warranty by the end of today.

If they cannot provide in writing that they believe my house complies with their regulations (despite all building regs being met!), this boiler will be going back to the shop and I will ask my plumber to chose one which will be acceptable in the location.

Sponsored Links
I'd have the WB regardless to be honest especially if you have the five year warranty and have or are going to purchase the optional WB four year servicing plan @ £258.48.

No more money to spend on a boiler for the next five years except for fuel is an excellent proposition and will protect your initial investment. And,they will extend the deal on a year by year basis after year five which is currently around the £200 mark for service and warranty per year if your a customer.

I agree entirely with simond,WB customer service is second to none as is tech support and for those reasons alone I would put one in my own house.

BTW, have to say that Baxi tech is pretty good too don't know about their CS though.

Tony.

hooray!!

Dear pototea

Thank you for your enquiry.

Following an earlier conversation with XXX, we can confirm that your original plan to install the Greenstar 440 Cdi in your loft conversion is fully accepted. As such we will therefore approve the standard 2 year manufacturer's warranty on the appliance.

In this case the drawings that you have sent have helped considerably in us giving you this approval.

So looks like I can go ahead with the Worcester. Although where does the five year warranty you mention come from? Standard warranty is two years I thought and ten for the heat exchanger?

Any Worcester Bosch Aprroved Installer is currently eligible for five years warranty on any boiler they install in the Greenstar range plus the option to purchase ,for the customer ,four years servicing from WB for £258.58 ,this option has to be paid for within 31 days of the install or boiler being registered with WB.

Alternatively a years servicing and warranty is about £195 from WB after the two year warranty expires if the install is done by a non-WBAI. Cost of a WB annaul service is £140 or so.

So your looking at a additional cost of about £600 for five years warranty and four years servicing from WB by employing a non-WBAI if your man is indeed a non-WBAI.

Tony.

Any Worcester Bosch Aprroved Installer is currently eligible for five years warranty on any boiler they install in the Greenstar range plus the option to purchase ,for the customer ,four years servicing from WB for £258.58 ,this option has to be paid for within 31 days of the install or boiler being registered with WB.

Alternatively a years servicing and warranty is about £195 from WB after the two year warranty expires if the install is done by a non-WBAI. Cost of a WB annaul service is £140 or so.

So your looking at a additional cost of about £600 for five years warranty and four years servicing from WB by employing a non-WBAI if your man is indeed a non-WBAI.

Tony.

Thanks Tony. Think I will stick with my Domestic & General boiler cover at £11/month ;)

Thanks Tony. Think I will stick with my Domestic & General boiler cover at £11/month ;)

Your call of course but I wouldn't want just any old punter poking about a £1600 boiler and WB service engineers work on these boilers all the time and they carry 95% parts in the van to ensure a repair on the first visit.

Believe they have a 95 % repair rate on first visit.

A small price to pay for that sort of piece of mind,IMO.

Agreed. There is a World of difference between a Domestic & General subbie who has to mend everything from a tap washer to any boiler, and a Worcester Bosch technician.

If your chap was suitably accredited and trained your 440CDi would have a 5 year manufacturer backup.

I would keep the boiler and change your installer, or get him to arrange some training.

£11.00 x 12 months=£132.00 x 5 =£660.00 to have a non tech guy look at a breakdown???!!!!

That £ 11.00 now but lets see how much it rises in the near future!!

Its quite simple really ... free 5 year warranty from a WAI or 2 years warranty from a non WAI. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back