Combi boiler in loft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to move my combi boiler. Can it go in the loft of my house? is there a problem with the flue going out through the tiled roof? What about water pressure problems? (Note; Corgi registered plumber will be employed to do the work, not me!!) Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I've got my combi in my loft.. It's mounted on the gable end of my house and the flue goes straight out the side. I've got lovely pressure on the hot taps, and the central heating gets plenty warm enough, it works ok for me. Not sure if there are any issues, apart from getting the water & gas to the loft. My plumber loved piping it right from the ground into the loft :D

HTH

Matt

bigkriss said:
I need to move my combi boiler. Can it go in the loft of my house? is there a problem with the flue going out through the tiled roof? What about water pressure problems? (Note; Corgi registered plumber will be employed to do the work, not me!!) Thanks.

No problem. there is an an issue regarding access. You have to fit hand rails & jumping boards. :cry:

Bambergaspipe said:
No problem. there is an an issue regarding access. You have to fit hand rails & jumping boards. :cry:

Do you? I ask because I don't have anything like that?! I've got... the joists on the floor of the loft, and the insulation.

Sponsored Links
Bambergaspipe said:
bigkriss said:

bamber, your right to a certain degree their is no problem in fitting into the loft area, however if you do it as per comment then the loft area becomes a third level and fire doors need to be fitted ie meter cupboard or room where meter is installed. any third level dwelling needs as you know fire retardent doors where needed.

its a very grey area in which i have talked to corgi about in relation to own installation in loft.

why mine is still counted as loft and not another room level.

area is not fully walk boarded and ladders are tempory making it inaccessable to everyman and his dog.

im to beleive if the area is used as a room or is peranently accessable then it becomes another room and fire precautions then come into play or thats how i understand it to be anyway.

My boiler is in the loft corgi installed,
access via loft ladder,
not fully boarded
no guard rail
permant lighting.
Does this mean I could have a problem when selling property?

Diyisfun said:
My boiler is in the loft corgi installed,
access via loft ladder,
not fully boarded
no guard rail
permant lighting.
Does this mean I could have a problem when selling property?

As far as I am concerned as an installer, if you want a boiler situated in your loft, there has to be a guard rail & access from the loft opening to your boiler (after being installed) for servicing purposes. Dem is the Regs. ;)

That could raise some interesting points when coming to service my boiler then. Looks like I'll be adding another job on my list of things to do in my house.

#128 I think it is!!

I go to a lot of boilers installed in lofts and very few of them are fully compliant. However I have never heard of anyone getting any problem from that on selling the house.

What I would say though is that at the very minimum there should be a fixed light and boarding from hatch to boiler.

Its best practice to fit a gas isolation cock and electrical isolation switch at landing level as well ideally as a pressure guage and filling loop.

You should have a fixed ( retractable ) loft ladder but if that is not available then that does not bother me as long as there is a suitable ladder on the premises which rests on the edge of the hatch!

I have never seen a guard rail around the hatch !

Tony

• Thanks
Reactions: r_c
I am surprised that you would think that I did not know that a guard rail is required after having to resit the exams every five years!

All I said was that I have never seen one.

As long as there is a bit of roof support available to steady ones self on than that makes me reasonably happy.

I always point out to the owner what should be provided under my duty of care. Many RGIs dont like me doing that because they did the job on the cheap and dont want their deficiencies shown up.

What I do not agree to do is get into a loft from short "A" frame steps needing gymnastics! I always ask the owner if they can get into the loft and if the ladder rests on the lip.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back