boiler in loft!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently bought a flat and my boiler is in the shared loft. Is this against any regulations? It is shared by all of the flats in the building but there are already flues etc in there.

If anyone can tell me I would appricate it.

Sponsored Links
Boilers can be installed in lofts but they have to be installed correctly.

It might be an idea to get a competent CORGI engineer to service it and check that it meets the many regulations.

Tony

Thanks

My main concern is that it is a shared loft. If there is no problem with a boiler being there in principle then that's great. I did have scottish gas out and they didn't mention it they simply said that we needed lighting before they would service it.

Today though another tradesman said it was illegal!!!! which obviously worried me. Both were CORGI registered. Who do I trust?

Depends what it is and when it was installed at least.

Sponsored Links
I don't think there's any regulation abut the "shared area" aspect. Anyone?
Stuff to have includes but is not restricted to lighting, flooring, protection round loft hatch, proper loft ladder, protection from other materials & frost, gas isolation in the property below, safe discharge(s), proper suport for the boiler and flue - there are flammability issues there.

thanks for this I feel a little more reassured. in answer to the first question I think it is only about 5 years old!! but the loft has no flooring. I presume that building control would be able to give me all the ins and outs of what I need to do to make it comply

We have not been told what is the make and model.

The only regulation relating to shared lofts that I can think of is that combustion air should not be drawn from them but most boilers will be room sealed.

For the uninitiated, a shared loft in this context means a loft which communicated with adjoining terraced properties. It does not mean a loft which serves the upstairs and downstairs flats and is technically shared between both flats.

Tony

doesnt the loft need partioning off from other property as a fire break anyway?

edited: Sorry, my mistake, Chris R has already covered it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back