Boiler installation / Ethics / General Q

Thank you, I appreciate it!!
I feel for the customer. There are so many cowboys out there some have more waggons and horses than others.

Good luck and ask as many questions as you want.

Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Yes, without swearing, they’re dire. Some on here rave about them and haven’t had issues. We fit them (unfortunately) as my boss thinks they’re good boilers. Yep, some are loud, others (I’ll give credit here) are extremely quiet. I’ve replaced several parts on boilers that are only 2/3 years old, some less than that, and parts ain’t cheap. I know they’re not big in Scotland as a mate has told me. We’ve had issues with some Honeywell thermostats too, I know these aren’t to do with intergas, apart from the range fitted link up direct with the boiler.
Its a minefield! Every boiler manufacturer has its promoters and naysayers it makes it really difficult for us customers to select the best boiler for our requirements.

Exactly this. @Poynty claims to be "paying a premium" yet seems to have chosen the lowest possible quote from a range of box-slinging companies.
That was my first thought.
Unless you have a copper cylinder which is coming out, the amount of scrap pipe is usually pretty small. Fiver a kilo or whatever the current rate is. A used pump isn't worth anything to most plumbers.
Any self respecting boiler swapper will have done the manufacturer's little course so he can give you the max warrranty.
Remember it's only valid if you have the boiler services done by a mfr approved person, and you never went over 52 weeks between. Worcester were fairly lenient over that though.

Picking boilers is a bit like choosing a car I reckon - don't get a brand new design. There's likely to be something which takes a year or two to sort out. Vailant were special though. They used a hydraulic diverter valve which failed a lot, then in the next model they used an electric one, which also failed a lot.

Last edited:
I will get this added to the list!
Not always necessary depends on the system all ready in and its condition .
A lot of powerflushes are done as a cash cow money maker

Sponsored Links
Scrap should never be looked on as a given right . I price a job to make the amount of money out of it that i want after all overheads . 99% of people are happy for you to take the scrap away with all the rubbish so its a bonus .

When we had our boiler installed back in 2015 the installer left the old boiler and the pipe offcuts at the front of the property for the scrap merchants to collect and take away for free.

When we had our boiler installed back in 2015 the installer left the old boiler and the pipe offcuts at the front of the property for the scrap merchants to collect and take away for free.
That's a good service. When I had my boiler replaced last year (conventional to combi), the bloke left all the pipework and the old cylinder behind the shed. Two weeks later, I noticed that he had hidden it from me.

I do remember that. And that's why I don't fit Vaillant.

I fitted one for a customer in Stamford Hill. I assured him these where the best boilers on the market. But it didn't work. A little embarrassed I just blamed the bloody Germans.

Shame, because they are fantastic boilers and bullet proof once Vaillant fixed the initital teething problems. But comparing to some $h1tboxes today with plastic components that either pinhole or split, the internals of the Turbo are miles ahead in quality. Best thing is though, they're complete opposite of the old Sines that were a marvel of engineering, but extremely complex. Turbos are the opposite and a doddle to fix - not that they need it very often. Will be hanging onto mine to the bitter end. Even if I had to to put a new main hex in wouldn't turn me against it.

• Thanks
So had heatable install boiler, went perfectly, took his time, did a MagnaCleanse, system was pretty damn clean so no need for power flush. I saved money Vs local quoting nearly 4k got heatable at 3.5k + 0% over 3 years!

He even sorted some bits of pipework alteration in the process / ensuite I am in process of building, overall a very pleasant experience and boiler runs nicely / had it checked over by a local I use for servicing and they said was a good setup!

I did give him all the scrap! Rest assured vocal scrap takers haha, but in all fairness, he deserved it as a tip as he worked very hard! I tried to tidy up and help wherever I could to speed it up for him!

I wonder how many boiler fitted this year with all their electronic wizardry will still be going in 20 years

the Stelrad Ideal boiler I had replaced was about 45 years old -the only repair needed in the last 12 years was a pump.
I'm still using a Worcester Danesmoor oil boiler newly installed in 1985. I have replaced the burner control box, motor, solenoid coil, oil pump and photocell but these items are still readily obtainable and quite cheap to buy. It's a non-condensing boiler of course, so not the most economical on oil, but any fault is easily fixable by me, so I'm very reluctant to replace it with something that inevitably will be more complex and difficult to repair.

I'm still using a Worcester Danesmoor oil boiler newly installed in 1985. I have replaced the burner control box, motor, solenoid coil, oil pump and photocell but these items are still readily obtainable and quite cheap to buy. It's a non-condensing boiler of course, so not the most economical on oil, but any fault is easily fixable by me, so I'm very reluctant to replace it with something that inevitably will be more complex and difficult to repair.
I have an Ideal Minimiser installed in 1999. Still working OK. All that's gone wrong was one of the solenoids on the gas valve gone open circuit, and one or maybe two spark or flame detection electrodes.

I did give him all the scrap!
IMG_2518.gif

I have probably fitted about eight Intergas boilers. None have gone wrong yet!

I did have to repair a brand new one with a failed gas valve. It had been bought very cheaply and installed by a non registered installer!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back