Boiler installation / Ethics / General Q

I won't take on a job unless I can power flush. Unless I see a powerflush will do more harm than good..
the guy who did my boiler spent the first day powerflushing after removing the old boiler etc -Its surprising how long it takes going doing each rad in turn, it was pretty much a full day using the powerflusher
and then when he had completed all the new pipework etc he did a mains flush to remove any bits of solder etc prior to commissioning

the only thing Ive found on the new mag filter is some bits of wire wool

Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
the guy who did my boiler spent the first day powerflushing after removing the old boiler etc -Its surprising how long it takes going doing each rad in turn, it was pretty much a full day using the powerflusher
and then when he had completed all the new pipework etc he did a mains flush to remove any bits of solder etc prior to commissioning

the only thing Ive found on the new mag filter is some bits of wire wool

Hopefully Poynty takes note of this and asks the question before they turn up. A good flush can take a long day and a good few have taken me into the evening.

Last edited:
The trouble I find with most boilers/people who post on here is a dirty system. I’ve replaced countless parts due to this, however nobody where I work seems interested in flushing the system out!

Intergas boilers are supposed to have wide waterways? It makes me wonder why they aren't more popular. I still keep thinking about them for my new boiler, although muggles recent comment put me off a bit.

Sponsored Links
those companies are box shifters, the installers are under pressure to fit very quickly

I dont know how much the heating engineer gets paid compared to if he was doing it direct with the customer, possibly not great.
Exactly this. @Poynty claims to be "paying a premium" yet seems to have chosen the lowest possible quote from a range of box-slinging companies. The installers who subcontract to these companies are often ones who don't have enough of their own work, and rates of pay are fairly low.

You'll get an average job at best, but it's unlikely the boiler will get any kind of setup to match it to the system it's powering, and system flushing will be minimal or nonexistent. Installer will want to be done in a day so he can move on to throwing the next one at the wall tomorrow.

I was surprised at the question, when new central heating fitted to dads house all the old pipes were left in place. The took the boiler, header tank and cistern, but not pipes.

Father-in-law had problem with power flush, the central heating had a fault, motorised valve failed, and no radiator in living room, since there was a gas fire in living room, no radiator fitted. This work was completed, and re-filled etc, and all ran A1, but it had been a problem getting the work done in North Wales when living in mid Wales so we decided best option was to get a maintenance plan.

They sampled water and said it needed flushing, so got the plumber who had done all work before to flush it, but then the maintenance people would still not take over the boiler servicing, they said the system still needed flushing. Father-in-law died, and house sold, and still the maintenance company had not taken over the servicing in spite of taking the money. They insisted they would need to visit again, and we simply said no way, no longer our house, so did get money back.

However it does seem flushing has to be tested, not a clue what they tested, water looked clear until inhibitor went in, the slight milky look was due to the inhibitor our plumber said. As to who was connect not a clue.

I am lucky with this house still have the cistern, so in the summer we have free hot water, we nearly had it ripped out, thank god we didn't so winter DHW is heated by oil, summer it's heated by surplus solar.

Then I'd be thinking I don't want this company fitting my boiler.

If this boiler is correctly fitted its you done for the next 12 -15 years.

Done badly you might be looking at 5 years until you'll be getting a new boiler.
It’s a valid point, but unlike locals you can get 0% finance over multiple years with these providers and they warranty the boiler with manufacturer for 10 years, if I service it every year and install is done okay then I can’t see an issue?

I’ve also found local prices to vary hugely and difficult to know who is good and who isn’t!

Exactly this. @Poynty claims to be "paying a premium" yet seems to have chosen the lowest possible quote from a range of box-slinging companies. The installers who subcontract to these companies are often ones who don't have enough of their own work, and rates of pay are fairly low.

You'll get an average job at best, but it's unlikely the boiler will get any kind of setup to match it to the system it's powering, and system flushing will be minimal or nonexistent. Installer will want to be done in a day so he can move on to throwing the next one at the wall tomorrow.
Premium being that it’s more costly than going with locals, but the 0% finance for first time buyers is incredibly useful. I think lot of people will be in similar boat as us newer generation try to get on housing ladders, we can’t afford to pay £3/4k outright and risk a local that might not have any cover or could be bad. Big company seems a lot easier to take up an issue with or try get compensation in an issue?

By setup to match to the system can you confirm, is there anything I should make sure they do / tips?

I believe it’s just the chemical flush being done, I could get a power flush but the system was only recently drained off and cleared out of sludge etc.

As paying local upfront isn’t an option for us sadly.

Hopefully Poynty takes note of this and asks the question before they turn up. A good flush can take a long day and a good few have taken me into the evening.
I will get this added to the list!

Intergas boilers are supposed to have wide waterways? It makes me wonder why they aren't more popular. I still keep thinking about them for my new boiler, although muggles recent comment put me off a bit.
That’s what we fit - that just means they’ll possibly take longer to block up! Absolute heap boilers imo.

It’s a valid point, but unlike locals you can get 0% finance over multiple years with these providers and they warranty the boiler with manufacturer for 10 years, if I service it every year and install is done okay then I can’t see an issue?

I’ve also found local prices to vary hugely and difficult to know who is good and who isn’t!

It is a battle finding someone good. But I doubt if this company will be any good. If they go tit's then the warranty might just go with them.

Small companies and sole traders are your best bet.

As for credit, small companies & sole traders can do this via the boiler manufacturer. Just call your preferred boiler manufacturer and they will give you a list of affiliated installers.

That’s what we fit - that just means they’ll possibly take longer to block up! Absolute heap boilers imo.

Does absolute heap mean bad? If so, is there anything specific? You read such differing opinions. Muggles said HQ was in chaos which makes me worry they are planning to quit the UK. Also that they were loud.

• Thanks
I will get this added to the list!
Ask questions about the whole install.

Brands of magnet scale reducer
Inhibitor & cleaner.
How long will powerflush take? Is it a powerflush or just a chemical flush.
Does the boiler need a full strip down service of just a spit and blow dry?

I know fellas who fit a boiler in the morning then another in the afternoon.

Do your homework

Ask questions about the whole install.

Brands of magnet scale reducer
Inhibitor & cleaner.
How long will powerflush take? Is it a powerflush or just a chemical flush.
Does the boiler need a full strip down service of just a spit and blow dry?

I know fellas who fit a boiler in the morning then another in the afternoon.

Do your homework
Thank you, I appreciate it!!

Does absolute heap mean bad? If so, is there anything specific? You read such differing opinions. Muggles said HQ was in chaos which makes me worry they are planning to quit the UK. Also that they were loud.
Yes, without swearing, they’re dire. Some on here rave about them and haven’t had issues. We fit them (unfortunately) as my boss thinks they’re good boilers. Yep, some are loud, others (I’ll give credit here) are extremely quiet. I’ve replaced several parts on boilers that are only 2/3 years old, some less than that, and parts ain’t cheap. I know they’re not big in Scotland as a mate has told me. We’ve had issues with some Honeywell thermostats too, I know these aren’t to do with intergas, apart from the range fitted link up direct with the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back