Boiler installation under stairs

M

MattLowe

Hi,

I would like to install a new combi boiler under the stairs in a 2 storey end of terrace house. The stairs are on the outside wall of the end of terrace. My questions:

-Can a new boiler be installed under stairs (current is elsewhere)?
-Is any fire boarding/enclosing required?
-The flue will pass through the external wall horizontally. Is there a minimum discharge height? And is there a minimum distance from openable windows?
-Can the condensate drain just drain to outside through the wall and not to foul waste or a rain water outlet?
-What area of ventilation is required to outside? Or preferably could it be vented from inside the house?

I'm sure there should be a guide on this kind of stuff. Just can't find it.

Many thanks in advance.

Matt

Sponsored Links
1. Yes.
2. No, if its fitted to a non-combustible surface.
3. If its below 2metres it needs a basket.
4. 300 mm from an openable window (as long as all sides are open.
5. No, it needs to go to a gulley/soak away.
6. If its a new combi it will not need ventilation.
Of course each boiler Manu has slightly different regs for the particular boiler fitted, the above answers are generic. Your RGI will survey and give proper advice.

Condensate must go to a drain or soakaway.

You can't just let the water dribble outside. It is acidic.

Everything else is possible subject to manufacturers requirements being met. Speak to your installer.

Sponsored Links
Is the land that the flue will exit onto your land? or is it the councils?

Sounds to me as if he wants to do an illegal installation himself.

One wonders how he will deal with notifying Building Control and how his house insurance would respond to any claim.

Tony

There's some very cynical posters on here today :cool:

Hi,

I would like to install a new combi boiler under the stairs in a 2 storey end of terrace house. I'm sure there should be a guide on this kind of stuff. Just can't find it.

yes there is a guide they are called Registered Gas Safe Installers

cynical us, i can't see why you think that :D

To all those who posted helpful answers thank you very much.

To those slightly more cynical types... Yes I will be using an RGI now that I know that installing the boiler under the stairs is possible and what other work will be required. Its part of a complete refurbishment and I'm only at the planning stage.

Sorry. No idea who owns the land actually. Its a 1.6m strip between ours and the next end of terrace house. Gives access to about 6 or 7 other houses. I've seen plenty of flues arranged in the same way in our street so guessing it shouldn't be a problem?

I have done this several times and favourite for unvented cylinders along with a boiler around our way

As long as you have the space and clearances then there should be no issues

Have a chat with the Installer of your choice and I am sure he will guide you to the best way of achieving what you desire

Good luck

It is a problem if you dont own the land. It doesnt matter what other people have done. Doesnt make it right. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back