No soil pipe - macerator is only option?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Just bought a 1900's end terrace house which has been altered quite a lot over the years. Currently the only bathroom is upstairs over the stairs against the original back wall of the house. House has had an extension and then an extension to this.

The toilet is connected to a macerator which also takes all the waste from the washbasin and bath and then pumps it behind the bath and then down the original outside wall (can't see where it goes). There does not seem to be a soil stack - survey says there is not a soil and ventilation pipe provided - so assume the macerator pipe goes down the wall somehow into the drain outside the kitchen. Is there anything that can be done to get rid of the need for a macerator? The current one is pretty old, noisy and sometimes the bathroom doesn't smell that pleasant.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Did the surveyor, or your conveyancer, establish whether or not there was a foul underground drain?

If so, do you know if any reason why you can't have a soil stack installed?

Survey says that there is a single inspection chamber outside and I'm sure there was originally a soil stack - they probably removed it when they did the building work about 20 years ago.

Provided there is a foul drain how exactly would a stack be installed - sorry don't know anything about plumbing

They're fairly simple things, with some straightforward regulations to follow.

The most important points are:

1. Consult and get approval of LABC.
2. Use the correct gauge of pipework.
3. Use the correct gradient (there are tolerances).
4. Use an adequate vent.
5. Use enough pipe clips for support.

On a technical point, you should use a rest bend (more info when you need it) at the base of the stack - I've seen many a builder not do this and not only is the job shabby but the result is unnecessary strain on the bottom joint of the stack.

Some people view the BCO as a foreboding character, but I've always been open and straightforward with the ones I've dealt with and they've always been reasonable. They don't like people bodging and hiding things.

In case you're thinking of going it alone, you don't have the luxury of that choice - the Building Regulations place a legal duty on you to abide by those regulations and to notify the LABC of alterations to foul drainage.

I'm sure you'll have questions - ask away when you're ready.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help so far. I have managed to find a plumber who is willing to install a new stack (everyone else said it wasn't possible/worth it) which will run from the internal bathroom under the floor of the next door bedroom (about 3.5m in all) and then down the outside wall into the drain. This will obviously get rid of the horrible macerator.

He has quoted £1900 all in to install the new stack, raise the floor so it will fit in and dig out/down the drain. If he discovers that the pipe will require batons to hold it in place (which he won't know till he has the floor boards up) then this will be an additional £250 - not really sure what these are

Is this a fair price??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back