Boiler isn't firing up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with my boiler. When I switch it on to heat the water it is just not firing up at all, this also happens when it switches on on timer. It is a gas Potterton Flamingo 50. It looks quite old, but I haven't had any problems with it in the year I've lived here, and certainly yesterday it worked fine. Nothing has been done to it while I have lived here, other than the annual safety check. Any ideas what the problem/solution could be?

Sponsored Links
Yes. I turned the temp control right up to start with and it fired up then, but only for a short time and then it stopped and didn't fire up again.

check to see if it fires up for heating, then check if your pump is running. Is your hot water actually cold then?, ie not firing up at all

Sponsored Links
There's no separate setting for heating, so that isn't working either. Yes, the hot water taps are just running cold water, it's just not firing up. What's the pump?

First check that you have 230v to the boiler when you are calling for hot water, then check to see if you have 230v to the gas valve.

gazthepottertonengineer said:
its more than likely the boiler stat as there isnt alot else on this boiler to go wrong :)

I've got one in my kitchen and the only things it has had are a new gas valve and two thermocouples....but these are riddled with horrible decaying asbestos rope seals and well past the end of their time.

ollski said:
gazthepottertonengineer said:
its more than likely the boiler stat as there isnt alot else on this boiler to go wrong :)

I've got one in my kitchen and the only things it has had are a new gas valve and two thermocouples....but these are riddled with horrible decaying asbestos rope seals and well past the end of their time.

tottaly agree with you on that one must be at least 15-20 years old so had your moneys worth ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back