Boiler isolation valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Worcester LPG boiler feeding a coil in the water cylinder. I turned it off in the summer and used the immersion heater instead. However, the flow and return sealed system pipework between the boiler and the hot water cylinder has continued to circulate very hot water through the system which is wasted heat (and energy). There are no isolation valves in the flow and return pipework and I don’t really want to open up the boiler to isolate it. Is there a simple way that I can stop wasting energy?

Sponsored Links
No. Not external. I don’t know what’s inside the boiler unit.

Sponsored Links
Sorry. I didn’t make it clear. I switched the power off at the switch and the db. There is no pump running and the boiler is not firing.
However, both the flow and return pipes at the boiler are very hot as they are all the way to the hot water cylinder a run of approx. 10 metres. The horizontal sections are lagged but not the vertical ones (yet). Without isolation valves in the system I don’t know how to stop the flow of hot water and the resulting waste of heat and energy.

They must be getting hot from somewhere. Can you provide more info/photos of setup? Do you have any solar panels installed? Post a photo of the boiler, evidence of switches being off, and the hot water cylinder please.

They must be getting hot from somewhere. Can you provide more info/photos of setup? Do you have any solar panels installed? Post a photo of the boiler, evidence of switches being off, and the hot water cylinder please.
Convection from the HW cylinder I assume

Thanks for the replies. There are no solar panels. It’s a basic set up with the system boiler heating, through a coil, a hot water cylinder/thermal store. During summer I’m not using the boiler only the immersion heater for DHW. However, the hot water continues to circulate to the point that the boiler casing is warm - presumably acting as a radiator!
Convection does seem to be the culprit. Would draining the boiler circuit while it is shut down be advisable?

Attachments

• 10113E69-9042-4560-B619-E824C2E2F165.jpeg
    10113E69-9042-4560-B619-E824C2E2F165.jpeg
    332.9 KB · Views: 60
  • C437131E-D8CE-4F96-AAA6-E543ABE85636.jpeg
    C437131E-D8CE-4F96-AAA6-E543ABE85636.jpeg
    340.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 15E2CCF8-65B9-415B-A463-4AE70D25C77D.jpeg
    15E2CCF8-65B9-415B-A463-4AE70D25C77D.jpeg
    229.4 KB · Views: 70
If you look up under the boiler you should see the flow/return pipes, just shut one off with its isol valve? or post the boiler make/model and someone will point out the relevant valves.

Thanks for the replies. There are no solar panels. It’s a basic set up with the system boiler heating, through a coil, a hot water cylinder/thermal store. During summer I’m not using the boiler only the immersion heater for DHW. However, the hot water continues to circulate to the point that the boiler casing is warm - presumably acting as a radiator!
Convection does seem to be the culprit. Would draining the boiler circuit while it is shut down be advisable?
Presumably it's a fully-pumped system, but it sounds like you don't have a 3-port (or two 2-port) valve for CH and HW. If you did, and they're working properly, you wouldn't have the problem. You could fit one, and update the controls, to improve the system. Or just close an iso valve as others have said, but don't forget to open it before firing up the boiler again!

Need more information to make educated suggestion rather then take shot in the dark

1. Circulation taking place between cylinder and boiler while boiler power is off
Question here is, with MCB in off position, the hoiler is depowered, but are the controls also depowered

2. Have been involved in installations where boiler is dead but pump still runs as controls are powered from another circuit.

3. I would be looking for a pump and take it from there. Instead of boiler heating the water in the cylinder, looks like cylinder is trying to heat the boiler as pump is running all the time.

4. Is the boiler above ( higher) than the cylinder? 10m distance suggests mechanical circulation rather than gravity. More so if bulk of the pipe run is horizontal.

5. Service valves under the boiler- disturb this at your peril as most regulars here will tell you. Not unknown for these to start leaking/ weeping when these are operated. Why makers cannot make valves that are fit for the purpose, One make comes to mind where the spindle in the valve snaps When the valve is disturbed.

Can be done but be aware if the pump is causing the circulation as isolation will stress the pump.

Last edited:
Need more information to make educated suggestion rather then take shot in the dark

1. Circulation taking place between cylinder and boiler while boiler power is off
Question here is, with MCB in off position, the hoiler is depowered, but are the controls also depowered

2. Have been involved in installations where boiler is dead but pump still runs as controls are powered from another circuit.

3. I would be looking for a pump and take it from there. Instead of boiler heating the water in the cylinder, looks like cylinder is trying to heat the boiler as pump is running all the time.

4. Is the boiler above ( higher) than the cylinder? 10m distance suggests mechanical circulation rather than gravity. More so if bulk of the pipe run is horizontal.

5. Service valves under the boiler- disturb this at your peril as most regulars here will tell you. Not unknown for these to start leaking/ weeping when these are operated. Why makers cannot make valves that are fit for the purpose, One make comes to mind where the spindle in the valve snaps When the valve is disturbed.

Can be done but be aware if the pump is causing the circulation as isolation will stress the pump.
OP said in #5 There is no pump running and the boiler is not firing.

Agreed more information would be useful.

OP said in #5 There is no pump running and the boiler is not firing.

Agreed more information would be useful.
Read what I wrote again please.
Boiler does not need to run to make those pipes Hot.
Pump need not be inside the boiler if boiler Is a heat only boiler
Have known controls to be supplied off ring mains and boiler on own supply for this scenario to take place. Have resolved similar situation before

Boiler does not need to run to make those pipes Hot.
That's right, and according to the OP it isn't. He hasn't said whether the boiler is above or below the HW cylinder, most houses it's below, so wouldn't expect this problem, but some boilers are in an attic. OP?
Pump need not be inside the boiler if boiler Is a heat only boiler
Of course, but if it's not running, does it matter?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back