Boiler issue, can anyone help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my boiler, Ideal Classic RS 240, serviced and the engineer that serviced it advised to have it switched off as he didn't think it was properly room sealed. He tried to ring Ideal to confirm this but as it was a Saturday afternoon there was no one there. He has said to get someone out to reseal it but ideally I want to confirm the situation rather than paying a call out charge only to find out that it is supposed to be like it is.

There is a rubber seal around the edge of the boiler case where it meets the wall mounted part of the unit but there is only a seal around the top and two sides, there is no seal across the bottom of the case. The engineer said that he has seen some room sealed units with a small gap but never the whole width of the boiler.

I am going to try calling Ideal myself but I don't know if they will give me this information as obviously I'm not qualified to remove the cover of the boiler so just wondered if there was anyone that can shed any light on this.

Just to fill in a bit more of the background to this, when the engineer removed the front cover of the boiler it wasn't screwed on properly so it appears it has been tampered with by a previous occupant of the house, especially as the cover has been painted and would have to have been removed to do this. This was the first time I have had it serviced since buying the house.

Hopefully the above makes sense and someone can be of assistance.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
If I remember correctly, the bottom seal is attached to the boiler, not the case.

Thanks for the quick response. I would have thought that the engineer would have noticed this at the time, and I didn't look at the boiler itself while he had the case off.

I suppose in theory I could remove the case to check this myself but am I right in thinking I shouldn't do this because I am not qualified?

Sponsored Links
eeeee dave if lord glazier sees that there well be ell to pay
rofl5.gif

I spoke to Ideal today who confirmed that the case should have a seal on all 4 edges so I'm in the process of getting some quotes.

Only had one so far, was just wondering if anyone knew what a "fair" price would be?

When the RGI said "not sure" had he tested it? I inspect all RS appliances with a smoke pellet close to the outer flue when the boiler is in operation.

Ive had many problems with Ideal RS's so as a precaution I use this as a guarantee - even if the case seal looks in good shape.

Basic servicing in my opinion!

Paul

what happened to the service guy??

If you mean why haven't I got him to do the work, he was from nPower and told me off the record how much the labour charges would be which would be more than the whole quote I currently have!

When the RGI said "not sure" had he tested it? I inspect all RS appliances with a smoke pellet close to the outer flue when the boiler is in operation.

Ive had many problems with Ideal RS's so as a precaution I use this as a guarantee - even if the case seal looks in good shape.

Basic servicing in my opinion!

Paul

I don't think he did a test like that but at least Ideal have confirmed that there is a seal or missing so whether it was tested or not I know it needs resealing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back