Boiler issue (maybe)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all.

Potential issue with my boiler so looking for help before I get someone out to look.

I have an ideal ff24. Old but fairly robust. Seperate hot water tank in the bathroom etc.

Tonight the hot water has been on and there is no hot water. The pump in the airing cupboard is running and the diverter valve is moving as it should.

Looked at the boiler and it’s not lit but the pump upstairs in the bathroom is running.

The dial on the boiler is set at 4. Always has been I think. If I turn it up then once it gets past about 4.5 it lights. If I turn it down it goes off again once it gets to around 4. So basically only lights at 4.5 above. Anything below and it goes off.

It doesn’t seem to have any issues lighting and I can hear the fan on the top so I don’t believe that’s the issue.

I’ve powered it off a couple of times and turned it back on and it now stays lit on all numbers 1 through 6 so I’ve put it back on 4 and left it.

Any ideas? I won’t be taking the cover off, I won’t be touching it myself but looking for a general idea. Last time I had a boiler guy round all he wanted to do was rip it all out and fit a combi boiler rather than change the fan. I ended up using someone else but I know he’s since retired and moved away.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Manual states it should be on maximum? If it’s lighting above 4 then it’s unlikely to be the boiler, unless there’s a sensor needs changing.

Manual states it should be on maximum? If it’s lighting above 4 then it’s unlikely to be the boiler, unless there’s a sensor needs changing.
Sorry yes. Should be on maximum to light it.

I mean when calling for heat. If it was on 4 or less it wouldn’t fire up and if I turned the dial down to 4 whilst it’s calling for heat it goes off….

Sponsored Links
Pump is on its way out /blocked or lack of water in the system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back