boiler issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Can someone please give me some advice on what I should do next.

My boiler has been fitted for about a year now, but I don't know if there is a problem with it or not.

I had a really big bill (£1400) about 6 months ago for the previous 6 months (over last winter).

British gas said that if I cannot pay the bill within 6 months then they would have to put me on a token meter and pay a certain amount off the debt each week.

I have been on this token meter for a few days now and I'm trying to calculate what it is costing to run.

Since having the meter installed I have had the temperature set to the lowest it can go (frost protection). Apart from having two showers per day and running the hot water in the sink now and again it is costing around £2.00 per day.

A 10 minute shower costs around 20/25p.

As I am still having work done in the house there are only 2 room rads and 2 towel rads on.

I set the temperature to about a 3rd (about 50/60 degrees) of the way for 3 hours earlier today and it has used around 75p.

The boiler is a 32kw Biasi.

I just want to know if these costs are about right or not.

We are getting into the cold weather now and within the next few weeks I will have another 5/6 rads running.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Might want to take regular meter readings, see how much gas your using on a regular basis. Depending on your energy supplier, you can get costings from them and work out a week rate of usage.

The average gas and electric bill is about £1300 pa.

If elec is £200 then gas is £1100. Thats about £7-8 a day in winter and £1-2 a day in summer!

Tony

dont forget as your now on a token meter you will be paying a weekly charge to cover the outstanding bill, press the button on the meter with your card or token in and it will tell you much this is!!!
average it out over the 7 days and this is also part of your daily usage.

Sponsored Links
I didn't have the meter checked because they kept emphasising that if it was found to be fine they would add another £100 to my bill.

I have spoken to some company that is supposed to offer help in these situations.

I am having a different heating engineer come out on Mon to check that the boiler is running OK.

Agile.

Is that the average for 2011.

I have always paid at least £50 for each per month, but when we spoke to BG at the beginning of the year she said that it should now be almost double as the prices have gone through the roof.

Cheers.

Its almost impossible for the boiler to be using too much gas as all it would do is heat up quicker and turn off.

Those figures are the average across all users from studio flats to 10 room mansions.

But its about right for a three bed semi the standard UK house!

Its also just what the BG person told you too!

Tony

Don't forget to check your loft for stowaways that have tapped off your gas to keep their illegal restaurant in business.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back