Boiler advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I am looking for some advice on the most efficient way of using my boiler.

I have a Biasi 32kw boiler and it is costing a fortune to run.

I have 7 radiators on from a total of 11. I have the boiler set to the lowest level (frost protection), but it seems to be coming on a lot more than it should.

It states in the book that the boiler will only start up if the temperature drops below 5 degrees, but it is coming on quite often throughout the day (even though the outside temp is still at around 10 degrees.

I left it on last night and it took just over £2 for 9 hours. I dread to think what it will be once we have to start turning up the heat.

I thought it would be ok leaving it on the lowest setting constantly, but I'm going to have to set the timer.

I'd probably only need it on about 6/7 hours a day in total, so that will reduce the costs drastically.

Is there a way that I can have all the radiators go off, but leave the one in the bedroom on at a low temp.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Is this on a prepaid card meter?

What is the tarriff ?

Tony

Yes.

I'm not sure of the tariff, but I know that they are taking an extra £25 per week off me as I have a large debt with them from last winter.

I had a bill last winter of around £1200 for 4 months use. They installed a card meter, so at least I can keep an eye on it now.

The £25 comes off when I put money on the card, so it doesn't effect what is being read on the meter.

I realise that gas has gone up recently and I'm happy if my bills are no more than around £30 per week.

What I need to do is set the timer as I don't need it on for around 16 hours per day. I'm hoping this will reduce it drastically.

I was trying to think of a way of having all the rads going off at night apart from one in the bedroom without me having to physically go around turning them off, but don't know if this is possible.

Cheers.

Do you live in a rented property?

Do you have a programmer? If so, what are the on and off times?

Do you have a room thermostat? If, so, what is the temperature set to?

Is it a combi boiler or do you have a hot water cylinder? If you have a cylinder, is there a thermostat on the side (see pic) and what is it set to?

View media item 10596

Sponsored Links
£30-£40 per week is about right for CAREFUL use of heating!

But you obviously are not concerned by high bills as you want to run your heating all night long!

Just use the timeclock to set the heating to the MINIMUM times for heating.

It seems to me to be totally irresponsible to use gas when you apparently cannot ( or will not? ) pay for it.

Tony

Hi D_Hailsham.

It is a combi boiler.

It is my own house, but there is still work ongoing.

I haven't installed a thermostat yet, but I will be.

The temp at the moment is set to the lowest it can go (frost protection).

Hi Tony.

I don't know how I can get away with not paying my gas bill as eventually they will cut me off.

The debt I have with BG is still being investigated and this is the reason that I have had a token meter installed. I can now see hour by hour how much I am being charged.

I have spoken to Biasi and they have told me that even having the boiler on constantly at full temp it would not have used as much gas as they are charging me for.

Once the investigation is complete I will pay what I have to.

I am concerned about high bills and I don't want it running constantly.

The reason I am asking on here is that I don't have the knowledge to know what I want to do myself.

I just want some type of low heat setting in the bedroom as it gets to cold for my wife at night. If there's no way around it I'll have to try something else. Maybe a small electric radiator.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back