Boiler leak, no loss of pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am experiencing a slow leak from my Worcester greenstar boiler. The leak comes from the right side of the boiler. The water is cold. I do not see any loss of pressure nor there is any issues with radiator heating/hot water.

The leak is intermittent. It's not constant.

I just don't understand what the issue seems to be. I am just scared of how much this is going to cost for fix.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
As yours is a condensing boiler, it may be due to leaking condensate. It happens when the weather is freezing and if the condensate pipe runs outside, freezes, and causes the condensate to leak out indoors instead.

Check with your boiler manual. If you don't have one, you can find one on line. Once you have located the condensate pipe, if it has frozen, you can warm it gently with a hairdryer on a low setting. You will then need to investigate why it has frozen, and then rectify that, perhaps with better insulation, or electrical trace heating.

I am experiencing a slow leak from my Worcester greenstar boiler. The leak comes from the right side of the boiler. The water is cold. I do not see any loss of pressure nor there is any issues with radiator heating/hot water.

The leak is intermittent. It's not constant.

I just don't understand what the issue seems to be. I am just scared of how much this is going to cost for fix.

Sounds like a water leak from the hydro block. Call an experienced, time-served, knowledgeable RGI. With a WB Greenstar, tell them to bring a First Aid kit & be prepared for a Compo claim if they need a visit to A&E!! The finish in these boilers is that poor, he'll get cut to bits repairing it.

One RGI sued the homeowner as his WB boiler cut him so badly!! Where there's blame there's a claim!!

Thanks for this. I have noticed that the leaks are around 12 hours apart? Does this give any idea? The amount of water that comes out is 40% of a mug.

Sponsored Links
as above.It defo sounds like the hydro block.Had similair in the past.

We only moved to this property early this year. The previous owner told us that she got this serviced every year but I don't have any paperwork.

Can't believe how hard on luck we are right now wrt boiler.

WB boilers are sold because of marketing w.nk. The more decerning, knowledgeable & experienced RGIs, including my good self, wouldn't fit them if they were free!!

As @PullerGas mentioned, get someone in to have a look, it may only be a connection to the hydroblock and not the hb itself that is leaking but no point worrying until it's diagnosed.

As @PullerGas mentioned, get someone in to have a look, it may only be a connection to the hydroblock and not the hb itself that is leaking but no point worrying until it's diagnosed.

Season Greeting Robert!!
You curtail your alcohol intake this Hogmanay fella!! You know what happened last year with your 'reck the hoose juice' Buckfast.

Season Greeting Robert!!
You curtail your alcohol intake this Hogmanay fella!! You know what happened last year with your 'reck the hoose juice' Buckfast.
And the same to yourself Sir P, hope Santa wasn't too nasty ;) .... I know mate and that was me keeping it to a wee cheeky half bottle too FFS!! Just you be careful with that "who the feck are you lookin at" rocket malt m8, I wouldn't want to see you getting scraped up off that Parkheed cross pavement again :sneaky:

Which green star is it?, they are pretty much all called greenstars!. If it's something like a 532 the hydro block pinholes on the cold water inlet, they cost about 20 quid plus hour or so fitting.
Perhaps an engineer with gloves might be a good call ;)

Sorted. Turns out a small section of seal from flue got corroded. The engineer replaced that and so far no leaks.

Funny thing - he noticed that there was a gas leak from the gas meter. Called out national grid, another one comes in and fixes that as well. Wonder how old that gas leak may be, as it's under the stairs we had no way of knowing as its a closed section.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back