Boiler leaking water Urgent advice needed?

Which housing association? I work in social housing and we get sent to less than that! We have to attend if there’s vulnerability (your son for example). Regards the leak, it’s not ideal, and could cause longer term damage, but if it’s not getting onto the electrics, then should be ok. I’ve attended several where the boiler leaks (gushes) and they don’t trip electrics.

Sponsored Links
Finally they sent someone out, they turned up at 9.30pm and opened up boiler, they could not isolate boiler but did find out where they thought water was leaking from. They said some washers in the mini heat distributor had gone. I think that's correct.

He happened to have some washers in his van so decided to replace them. He wrestled with boiler for quiet awhile but finally managed to replace washers.

It looked a bit of a bodge job if I'm honest he didn't have quite the right size washers and they kept falling out so he used what looked like glue to glue them in.

This did seem to stop leak and he put boiler back together. He tested boiler, had me turn on heating and hot taps to make sure everything was working, which it seemed to be working fine then he left

After he left I went to turn on kitchen tap to make up a bucket of cleaner to clean up mess in boiler cupboard and tap suddenly lost pressure and no hot water.

Went over and lights A, B and C are all going on and off at same time. A and B are red lights C is a yellow light. D light is green and staying on continuously.

Now I have no pressure to hot taps, no hot water and no heating.

Any one got any idea what he has done or what the lights mean

Thanks in advance

Could be a bit of air in the tap, and the lights could be overheating due to an air lock. I’d need to have a look in the manual. I’ll download it and have a read.

Just to add when I try to turn on heating nothing happens, Boiler is not responding at all, it doesn't fire up, it just stays silent.

When I turn on hot taps water starts coming out then water flow drops to a trickle and water is cold. You can hear water running through boiler but again boiler does not seem to fire up or do anything.

If there was a air lock would it stop boiler responding altogether? Would you expect boiler to still do something?

Could there be a blockage with derby or something?

It was the mini heat exchange or DW heat exchange that he changed washers on, I named it wrong on my previous post. Appologys.

He could not remove the the mini heat exchange because of the stupid design of boiler its so tight. To fully remove you would have to fully dismantle boiler. so had to try and change washers with it still in place getting his hand behind everything.

When he was doing it alot of brownish black water and muck came out.

I'm wondering if som derby has washed through and blocked it.

What do you think

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
If there was a air lock would it stop boiler responding altogether? Would you expect boiler to still do something?
The boiler has locked out so it won't do anything until it's reset. Rest is position 3 on the selector knob - go for 3 secs

Hope he didn't use silicone on the washers for the plate heat exchanger and it's now blocked the plate.

If it still does it, or does it again, time to get them back.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I have just tried turning the knob to reset waiting for 3 seconds and letting go and it does nothing. Boiler isn't even responding to a reset.

I tried turning knob to reset and waiting abit longer just incase still nothing and does not appear to have reset.

Im going to call them now

• Thanks
It might be that whoever attended might not have opened the flow and return valves under the boiler?

Attachments

• 039236B5-1DBA-4722-8CA0-15ECA2894FED.jpeg
    039236B5-1DBA-4722-8CA0-15ECA2894FED.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 19
Could be but we tested everything before he left and heating and hot water were working fine when he left. 10 minutes after he left every thing stopped working. If he has forgotten to open the flow and return valve wouldn't it have not worked even before he left, or would it work for a bit then stop.

Thanks

• Thanks
Did heating radiators come on when engineer was there and hot water ran ok from taps before he left ?
Edit...just read your last post ,obviously all worked,you need to get him back.

Really difficult for any of us to diagnose over the net unfortunately, all 3 lights blinking is a lockout and would usually respond to a reset, is the system pressure ok?

There is nothing inside the boiler that would physically stop the hot water from running, it's a combi so running off the mains so wouldn't normally suspect an airlock. If there is a little flow from the HW outlet and then it stops each time you try then that's more than likely a blockage, if he used some type of sealant when fitting the washers then I would suspect something has got in a blocked it.

• Thanks
System pressure seems fine it's in the green and hasn't changed. I appreciate it's hard to diagnose over net without seeing boiler.

They are sending someone back out within 24hrs. But the company they use are awful and most of the time they don't seem to know what they are doing. Took them 8 months last year to fix boiler now it feels like da sha vu.

Just trying to get a idea of possible causes.

I really do appreciate your help

If he has forgotten to open the flow and return valve wouldn't it have not worked even before he left, or would it work for a bit then stop.
Yes, it would have worked, so scratch that unless they were closed again for any other reason.

Given that there are isolation valve built into the boilet for flow, return and hot water out, I'm sure there would be one for cold water inlet, but cannot see from your picture. The other valves are the square silver projections from the top.
If you follow the cold water inlet pipe back through the cupboard are you sure there is not a tap or valve there?

I have followed cold water inlet pipe back so did engineer last night there is honestly no tap or valve. We both searched whole cupboard.

Another Engineer has just come out and he was beyond useless. He was here barely 5 minutes.

Looked at boiler turned it off at wall, turned it back on, tried resetting it once which obviously didn't work. Removed a couple of screws dropped down control pannel had a quick glance in boiler closed up and re screwed control pannel.

Said sorry can't help, another Engineer will have to come out we will be in touch in a few days then walked out

I feel like I'm back in a repeat of last year and like said it took them 7 nearly 8 months to fix boiler last year and in all that time we had no heating or hot water.

So fed up with it now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back