Boiler Leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Call from my Mother early this morning and I find a leak which has gone through the stairs. The boiler is a Baxi. The leak is coming from a short threaded stub. It looks as if something is missing. The boiler was serviced a couple of days ago.

Attachments

• 20231215_083605.jpg
    20231215_083605.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 20231215_083706.jpg
    20231215_083706.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 55
Sponsored Links
When the boiler was serviced its likely the boiler pressure was topped using the green lever valve.
The black plastic assembly is a backflow prevention device to comply with the water regulations and the threaded drain is part of the design.
It is normal to have a little water drip from the port during filling but it should stop once the green lever is released.

Although the outlet has a threaded connection (so you would assume it would have a pipe connection) it is not normal to do so and no manufacturer AFAIK requests it in the manuals,
Debris or just a poor quality assembly has caused the device to continue to leak.

It is one of the design issues with this type of valve but several boiler manufacturers have introduced it to their boiler range to make it easier for the
public to top up the pressure (rather than the older style filling loops).

It's a hazard of boiler servicing..if you don't service the boiler it's likely to fail but when you do there are these potential issues.

If you operate the green lever a few times briefly the drip may stop, otherwise a new assembly is required. Don't top up the pressure more than say 1.5 bar though.

Thank you very much for your help. My mam has had it regular serviced and it's under warranty. So the Plumber came out and said he'd never seen water coming out like this before and had to phone his boss. The result is Baxi are coming out tomorrow to fix and he said he thought it was the filling loop non return v/v passing

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back