Boiler location issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to have a boiler fitted but have an awkward situation. The only place it can really go is in the loft. There are space issues elsewhere and because i live in a terrace the flue would not be able to be sited anywhere other than by the borders of the property which is not allowed.

I know I can have the flue fitted out the roof using a roof tile kit but what about the condensate pipe? There is no where for it to connect to apart from the soil pipe but that will be very awkward due to it being on the same level as the boiler so no run off and the fact it is solid metal and so close to the roof that no angle grinder would ever get in there. Is there a case for me to have a non condensing boiler fitted?

Sponsored Links
can the condensate go into the bathroom wastes?, if you cant get a fall to a waste pipe then you could have a pump installed.

I wish it could but this would be impossible. You would have to re-design the bathroom waste and knock through walls to get at it. The only accessible waste is the soil pipe but it is positioned so awkwardly that no one sensible would attempt to cut through it.

There is a space in the kitchen thinking about it but the flue would be about 15cm's from next doors front door so this is a no no.

Run the condensate out down the wall then put a collar on the soil pipe.

You will be very lucky to get a dispensation unless you are in a flat

Sponsored Links
I ought to know this but it escapes me - why not just put the condensate into the gutter? (Insulated)

That's an interesting idea. I didn't think of that. Would be far easier than trying to angle grind the soil pipe...

Quick question, my needs for a boiler are for DHW only. If I was to purchase a hot water heater such as the one sold here http://www.heatandplumb.com/acatalog/Vokera_Water_Heaters.html

Would there be a difference in the flue location, could it be closer to the boundary line? I'm guessing these type of how water only gas boilers don't have a condensate either?

Why not mount the boiler in the kitchen and have the flue extended to run vertically outside? I assume there will be a drain outside your kitchen in which to run the condensate.

could the flue go throught the kitchen ceiling along the corner of the above bedroom wall and out to the roof? I would box it in.

Is this possible?

adwt2004 said:
could the flue go throught the kitchen ceiling along the corner of the above bedroom wall and out to the roof? I would box it in.

Is this possible?

Lots of things are possible, lots not! Advice is given on the descriptions given but we cannot see the layout etc so providing advice is difficult.

I think its time you took gordongas' advice and get a survey done.

Yeah you're right. All these rules and regs are a mine field. Feel sorry for the corgi's out there.

Would it be an RGI who I contact for a survey?

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back