Combi boiler flue location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
CORGIS please help

I have moved a Ferroli Optima 701 combi boiler to a cupboard under the stairs in my house. I now require the gas supply and flue to be connected and the system to be commissioned. However I had a visit from a CORGI installer who didn't believe the flue terminated in a suitable position outside. :(

As shown in the attached flue position diagrams the flue will terminate outside between ours and a neighbours wall. It is more than 100mm from the internal corners and more than 75mm from the horizontal and vertical soil pipes as stated in the instructions for the boiler (located here).

The CORGI installer made the following points:

- The flue should be further than 300mm from the corner of our two walls
- It should be a certain height above our kitchen door, even though the flue is not directly above the door
- As our neighbours roof is not airtight (where the plastic roof sheets join the top of the wall) the flue should be a certain height above the roof, even though the flue is not directly below the join

I have read that rather than following general flue positioning guidelines, the manufacturers requirements should be followed, which is what I have done. :confused:

Can anyone please confirm that the boiler instructions should be acceptable and whether you believe the location of the flue is acceptable based on the diagrams provided here?

Your advice is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
To be fair, he's hardly likely to commission your boiler even if you get someone to agree with you is he?

He is the person taking on responsibility for the installation and if you don't like it, then think about getting someone else.

I agree, but if no one here says the position of the flue is safe, I can save time by not getting loads of CORGI installer to come out and tell me the same thing.

not a chance. flue too close to a door opening nuisance for the neighbour plus a couple of other points,good luck getting someone to commission that :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Cant see the problem really, according to the installation instructions it looks ok, but they conveniently leave out horizontal from window/door/airvent, I still wouldn't commision it as all responability is mine for the whole damn thing, the boiler looks a bag of shiite anyway and to top it off I am a pedantic git and wouldn't do it out of principle of having to jump through hoops and pay a fortune to be registered and you dont cause it's your own house, tough titty.

In the absence of a distance laterally from the flue being quoted in the MI, the Standard applies. That is 600 mm from an opening on the same wall as the flue. Given that the door is in a worse position than that, the flue would have to be FURTHER than 600mm. Comparing with the carport measurements, you'd need AT LEAST 1200mm.

So absolutely definitely NO.
And I'd agree in principle with your corgi visitor and Bripl. Just because something is not covered by the regs it doesn't mean it's OK.

By the way you can't go up the wall with flue extensions either, because they're for internal use only.

You might be able to do it with a condensing combi with flexibility in the flue length/position. Glowworm do one which uses plastic pipes for the flue, and might suit, though it needs a drain like they all do.

Try phoning glowworm technical, not only can you not get through the bassttards want to charge you 50p a minute on the tech line, I phoned yesterday so I know for definite, I put the phone down, guess whose boilers I wont be using in the future, ended up quoting for an Ideal instead.

The installer phoned after speaking to CORGI and said it's a definite no no. Thanks for the help guys, looks like that plan is out the window. :cry:

ChrisR said:
By the way you can't go up the wall with flue extensions either, because they're for internal use only.

I thought maybe of extending the flue upwards inside the cupboard then coming out higher up the wall so it would be above the neighbours roof and I could also move it further away from our internal corner (>300). Would that work?

I don't think the boiler is suitable for that so might need to get a new one.

What are the better makes of Combi and any ones to avoid?

What about moving the boiler and flue on the kitchen wall (right on the daigram) opposite our neighbours wall? It would be 800mm from the neighbours wall, near the top of our door but >300mm horizontally from it and not near any corners. How would that be?

Also what are the rules for the flue terminating above a public pavement?

Steer clear of ravenheats baxi's and glowworms and anything which sounds like a spagetti western a washing machine or french ticklers, get a Worcester, dont know about condensers as only just started to price for them, will let you know in 12 years time if you can wait that long.

It's all ok now. :D I have spoken to a technical guy at Ferroli who said we are able to use a vertical flue with an elbow. This means we can move the outlet to 300mm away from the corner and 300mm higher than our neighbours roof. The extra flue bits cost about £100+VAT which is cheaper than buying a new combi.

good luck should get 12 months out of it before the fan packs up :LOL:

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN said:
Steer clear of ravenheats baxi's and glowworms and anything which sounds like a spagetti western a washing machine or french ticklers, get a Worcester, dont know about condensers as only just started to price for them, will let you know in 12 years time if you can wait that long.

:LOL: Superb :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back