Boiler Lock Out Light On.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. We had a Worcester Heatslave 18/25 Condensing Boiler (Installed last July) which went down last Saturday in so much as the 'Lock Out' light keeps coming on.

The Worcester Boiler Engineer has just left (Wednesday).

He tells me that the Oil is not getting into the Boiler properly. He showed me his Oil Pressure Gauge Check, No pressure and just a trickle of Oil coming out of the inlet.

He reckoned that because of the recent freezing Temperatures this has caused a moisture problem in the outside pipes and it is 'Clagging' the Oil.

He advised me to go around the exposed pipes with a hair dryer to try and thaw out the pipes and then, hopefully this will clear it. Then properly insulate any outside exposed pipes.

I was thinking if I released a pipe by the outside Oil Tank to drain any Oil from the Boiler to the Tank. The Oil Tank is around 12 foot lower and around 20 ft. outside to where the Boiler is.

Would this be a bad move do you think?

We are Pensioners at home most of the day and night so any advice would be very gratefully received as we have no hot water as well as no heating.

Sponsored Links
Its probably icing of the water that has collected in the tank outlet filter. Very common in this weather.

Why didn't he fix it for you? Lazy begger!

If you shut off the oil at the tank and clean out the filter you should be able to get the oil moving again.

Its probably icing of the water that has collected in the tank outlet filter. Very common in this weather.

Why didn't he fix it for you? Lazy begger!

If you shut off the oil at the tank and clean out the filter you should be able to get the oil moving again.

Hi. Thank you for this advice. I called my Installer who reckoned that the Worcester bloke didn't know what he was talking about.

He reckoned that it was either Low Pressure at the Boiler, The Solenoid, The Burner is Incorrect setting or the Control Box. (He is 60 miles away).

Anyway, I telephoned Worcester who accepted that perhaps the diagnosis is incorrect so they are sending a new bloke out tomorrow.

I will add to this Post about what happens. For now though, can you lend me a Hairdryer and organize a collection to help pay a Poor Pensioners Electricity Bill? :) Ta. :LOL:

check the pressure to the rads... it does this if the pressure in the rads drop too low, its a safety feature.

if its not that... cant help you.

Sponsored Links
check the pressure to the rads... it does this if the pressure in the rads drop too low, its a safety feature.

if its not that... cant help you.

Thank you. The Pressure gauge needle for the System has not moved at all.

I will see what another Worcester Engineer says tomorrow.

I am at least well under Guarantee.

Cheers :)

A New Worcester Engineer arrived today and also came to the conclusion that the oil was not getting to the Boiler.

He 'overrode' the Lock Out and kept the Boiler going for a couple of minutes and suddenly the Oil started to flow into the Boiler.

His opinion was that perhaps the oil pipe had frozen somewhere from the outside Tiger loop to the Boiler (It did get to MINUS NINE here one night) but by keeping the Boiler going for a while it had released the problem.

We are now Toastee:cool: .

Thanks for replies and interest.

Best Regards and a Happy New Year

Boozercruiser.

So the original engineer was correct then!

I do have to say that you were lucky that they did not charge you as it was not a boiler fault.

It always intrigues me when a tank is so much lower than the boiler!

Tony

So the original engineer was correct then!

I do have to say that you were lucky that they did not charge you as it was not a boiler fault.

It always intrigues me when a tank is so much lower than the boiler!

Tony

Hello Agile :)
Yes, he obviously was! However, yesterdays Engineer had the solution to the problem by overriding the Lock Out and keeping the Boiler going for a while.

I am lucky enough to have a 5 year Worcester Guarantee, but yes I suppose it is possible in principle I could be charged for this. I am still a bit apprehensive as to whether I will be or not. :!:
Though I do have to say that I am more than impressed with both the Boiler and Worcester Service in general.

Yes, the tank holds 1650 Ltrs ........................
(As a matter of interest I paid £950 in September for around 1500 litrs at 60.5p a Litre........now 32P a Litre I understand. Win some, Lose Some)
...........and is down in the next level of garden some 20ft away and the top of the tank is just level with the top level.
However, this tank was already in before we purchased the property 5 years ago.
So not guilty your Honor :)

P.S. My hot water is fine :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back