Boiler Lock Out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sometimes when the CH or HW calls for heat the fan comes on and just as the boiler fires it goes to lock-out.
Replaced circuit board, ingnitors, temp sensor and presure diff sensor.
One thing that also happens now and again is that there is a bang as if a valve is sticking. (Have replaced the 3-port but not the CH 2-port valve)
Could it be that if the CH valve is not operating correctly the boiler could go to lock-out
Regards
Apologies
Boiler: Saunier Duval SB30 - 10 years old

Sponsored Links
I can only guess as you give little useful information about your system.Motorised valves would not cause boiler lockout.

sounds poss that the bolier is firing but the photo cell doesnt see a flame so cuts the fuel and goes to lock out.

have you checked the photo cell? if its full of soot, there maybe another problem.

Sponsored Links
funny man... ;)

i just assumed it was a oil boiler, as ive never heard the term 'lock out' on a gas boiler.

All of this proves the lack of useful info given by the OP :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Fuel type = oil / gas / LPG
Boiler Make = abc
Boiler model xyz
Combi /Regular

Info on fault

all of this will result in some useful feed back! ;)

funny man... ;)

i just assumed it was a oil boiler, as ive never heard the term 'lock out' on a gas boiler.

I see. You ass-u-me-d.
I've got news for you. Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups. ;)

I must be lagging behind, never seen a boiler with a photocell.

Many oil boilers use a cadmium sulphide photocell to sense the flame by means of the light output. The glass viewing window can get dirty after some use and needs cleaning from time to time.

I can only assume that because the flame does not "sit" on a burner that flame rectification would not be a reliable method. Or alternatively because there can be plenty of soot around that the insulators would become compromised.

Tony

Had two OFTEC engineers to fix our boiler lockout.
First renewed all working parts and told me to lift my oil tank as it still LO'd.
Still a mystery to him why vitiation of flue gases was occurring.

Engineer no. 2 confirmed vitiation of flue gases. Told us the boiler was shot and we needed a new one.

Why had neither of these guys taken the blanking plate off the flue duct to inspect it, like I have just done, to find a hole in the flue pipe?

It has only cost me £600 to find the problem out myself!

What we learn is that if the problem is contamination of the flue then don't forget to inspect the flue.

I am very sorry that you had two engineers who failed to identify a simple fault. I am sure that the experienced people who advise on this forum would have found it.

The reality is that a wide spectrum of people take on this work and whilst they can probably manage in 90% of cases in a minority of faults they dont have the backup of more experienced people they can call on to assist so they just tell you that you need a new boiler which is a nice big job for them!

Its not an ideal situation and the only solution is to find a competent engineer and stick with them!

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back