Boiler losing pressure

Hpd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’ve got an Alpha CD30s boiler and it loses pressure so that every morning the red lights are flashing indicating it needs filling.

There are no leaks in radiators that I can find. I have checked the pressure on the expansion vessel and it seems correct.

I have replaced the filling loop itself as there was a small drip from this but that hasn’t helped.

I’m not a plumber by the way. Just wondered what’s next to investigate? I have called a plumber but he’s crazy busy and could take a while to get to me.

Any help is appreciated!

Sponsored Links
tie a freezer bag or similar on the discharge pipe from the pressure releif valve outside your property and see if it collects any water

As per @ianmcd above as first step plus...

How old is boiler?
Do you have access to the condensate pipe? Ie: how does it terminate? If you are able to, without disconnecting/cutting it, put a bag over that and recharge the system pressure - leave boiler off for a few hours and see if water collects... it’s another place that system can lose water if HEX is holed and water is escaping down condensate.

Edit: have you had any flooring installed recently? Or other work involving screws/nails?

This is the underneath of the boiler. The grey plastic pipe (condensate pipe?) runs into a white plastic waste which sticks out the side of the house

Attachments

• 2B641D87-1078-45F8-81B7-9499DE6C4B20.jpeg
    2B641D87-1078-45F8-81B7-9499DE6C4B20.jpeg
    238.3 KB · Views: 89
Sponsored Links
Also the boiler is pretty old, about 15yrs. I’ve put that pipe running into a pint glass and will check it out in a few hours. No work such as flooring has been done for years no

There’s about a teaspoon full of water that’s collected in a bowl since my last post if that’s significant at all?

If water is continually coming out the condensate pipework outside ,when boiler is off ,and continues for a good while. your heat exchanger is US and would need replacing. If water is coming out the prv pipework outside that is a different problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back