Boiler LPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is where this forum fails (I think).
Appliance sections, says 'not boilers'.
So I cant find another place to ask.
===========
I have just had my LPG boiler (Greenstar Highflow 440), serviced by Calor.
Its the first time I have had it serviced, I have been in the property 3 years & the boiler is about 6/7 yrs old.
I have a British Gas certificate from the previous owners, with a pass.
The connection to my boiler is in 15mm coper, the engineer called Worcester & they have said it should be 22mm (not must be).
The installation instructions also state 22mm.
So how did this boiler get installed, presumably checked off with 15mm.
There is 22mm from the LPG tank to the valve at the side of the house, there is about 20ft of 15mm.
The engineer who has just checked the appliance has said that its not an easy job changing the pipe as the inlet to the boiler is at the bottom.

Sponsored Links
First off are the instructions actually for the LPG, you'll probably find that's a direct copy from the NG one and irrelevant where LPG is concerned.

It the pressure your appliance works out and the pressure loss across the pipework that a important not the connection at the boiler.

Sponsored Links
The Calor technician would really have to measure and record the working pressure at the boiler and at the UPSO/OPSO valve to support their argument.

If the gas pressure is not within the acceptable range at the appliance, then the pipework will be at fault and need to be upsized - which for all Dan knows, is the conversation someone at Worcester Bosch had. However, the Worcester instructions do say that the inlet (22mm) should not be reduced.

Providing the inlet working pressure is between 35-39mB, the gas pipe diameter is at worst a 'Not to current standards' (because it contravenes boiler instructions) and at best an irrelevence.

Even Wooshitter know that that requirement in their instructions is a load of twaddle.

I know they don't use it often as a get out of jail free card.... but why else include it?

Don't you have to remove the boiler to change the inlet pipe?

LPG is supplied at nearly twice the pressure of nat gas and so the pipe size can be smaller.

Tony

Don't you have to remove the boiler to change the inlet pipe?

LPG is supplied at nearly twice the pressure of nat gas and so the pipe size can be smaller.

Tony
The engineer did say the boiler has to be removed, That's when I said I will wait till I need a new boiler.
===========

He did take pressure readings and they fell. (8mb on the report)

He was on the phone for a long time to Worcester.

He also said that the boiler was set more to natural gas than LPG, he adjusted it, he did explain what he did. He said that the boiler was probably never adjusted at install.

He was nearly 2 hrs on the job & working all the time, I thought he was very good.
I paid a fixed fee via the deal that Calor are running.

8mB is too much drop, you could upsize the 15mm pipe within a metre of the boiler without having to disconnect it and roll it forward.

Really needs someone on site to work out the equivalent pipe distance with bends etc to see what minimum steps would be necessary to reduce the pressure drop. Would only take a few minutes to work out.

Its the last metre that's the problem, the boiler cannot be moved out unless a washing machine is disconnect.

gorta say, you're not really selling me on the enormity of the uphill struggle you're facing with that washer..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back