Main Eco Compact 30

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I had a Main Eco Compact 30 boiler installed about a year ago now. It's been running fine.

It's just had its first service. The engineer said the boiler has a 22mm gas feed. However the main gas pipe is a 15mm. It looks like when the installer fitted the boiler he has inserted a 15mm to 22mm converter/connector lower down the pipe.

Is this normal?

Sponsored Links
No it’s not normal, imo he has done it to try and get away with it. Should have had a proper pipe sizing calculation carried out. Did he quote for upgrade?

No there was no quote for an upgrade. Just fitted the new boiler. It's probably about 10 metres of 22mm pipe that needed, if that. What kind of price would I be looking at to have it fitter? I'd do the donkey work lifting the floor, etc.

Sponsored Links
That's my whole point Terry if it's absolutely fine then can I just leave it? Depending on who u speak to its a different story a bit like yourself and CBW.

Will it ever fail a service?

Generally speaking combi boilers would have 22 mm gas line to it ,due to the volume of gas required when it's running domestic hot water.
If your boiler is doing everything quite happily as it is ,I don't see the issue.
Services on boilers are performed to ensure the appliance is operating well ,they don't have a pass or fail ,other than engineer finding a safety issue that renders it unsafe.

When your fitter commissioned the boiler one of the tests is to run the boiler at max and check the gas pressure drop...which he has and its fine...if you want some piece of mind just get them to check the pressure drop at the next service, 5 minutes with a manometer...

see http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Gas_pipe_sizing

Last edited:
Thanks guys that's really helpful. I've used this website for different views and it's been great. If I listened to the engineer this morning I need a full new pipe which means floors up and a load of hassle. He mentioned to me if a senior technician had of checked the boiler this morning he would have had to deactivate it until the gas feed was updated. Just thought that was a bit of scare tactics.

Thanks guys that's really helpful. I've used this website for different views and it's been great. If I listened to the engineer this morning I need a full new pipe which means floors up and a load of hassle. He mentioned to me if a senior technician had of checked the boiler this morning he would have had to deactivate it until the gas feed was updated. Just thought that was a bit of scare tactics.
Did matey do a pressure drop test and show/record the numbers or has he just looked at the 15mm and gone 'ooooooh'.
That senior tech bit is rubbish. If matey is Gas Safe and considered the boiler unsafe he should have taken it out of service. Have you got any paperwork with test results, work done, work required on it?

He did show me some numbers but it meant absolutely nothing to me.
He was a baxi boiler engineer and did everything online so I have requested a a digital work log and certificate.

There should be 1mb drop from the working pressure at the meter to the working pressure at the boiler. That is part of the GSIURegs.

That is the responsibility of the installer, if he was inspected Gas Safe would make him rectify.

The service guy is not responsible for the installation, he simply is there to service and make sure it is safe.

He's seen a problem, assuming he did the working pressures and it's working safely he noted it and is covered.

It's the installer who would need to attend as it's not installed correctly if what the service guy says is correct

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Totally appreciate that. As you can see from the chat there are a number of different views. Either way the boiler is safe and working properly.

your service guy is talking shyte by saying senior guy would have turned it off . If it requires turned off it doesnt matter what their position is it goes off

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back